About rule 18

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Complaints' started by born2day, 9 Jul 2020.

?

Have you ever been helped by someone on this forum?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. born2day

born2day New Member

Hi there, first of all i wanna thanks everybody once again for this beautiful forum, I've grown so much since i joined it, and I've been very happy to contribute and proud to be a part of it
    Now let's get to the point the new updated rule:
    "Do not give likes to non-useful content. This includes all posts except downloads."

Some suggestions:
    -Please make an announcement/banner/warning for this, i've seen already half of forum neglecting this rule.
    -Also fix the notification system, although i was following rule's thread i did not get any notification about the update (i visited our beloved forum dailty)

A criticism:
    I don't feel this new rule is the right way to go.
    We aren't equal and we all have different means to help.
    Letting this rule on will steer this community towards being a paying piratebay, actively discouraging people to help.
    As far I've seen this community has not only been a means to exchange content but also to help each other.

dofmaximus and Leona95 like this.
  2. Leona95

Leona95 Gold Nova

No Limit
    Absolutely agree with you @born2day! Thank you for bringing this to the table.

I think @bholenath made an interesting suggestion, kinda like: Why not adding one more button to give a "Thank you!" or "Acknowledged!" to sb? Maybe even the option to collect those points earn some status this way?

born2day likes this.
  3. alxndr

alxndr Silver IV

No Limit
    I agree with him as well! Imagine if, say Twitterremoved the ability to like a comment, and you could only like posts. That would be strange and unfair, yeah? It helps build to the community sense of this forum! I think it should stay :)

4. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    "like"

Yeah, what one finds useful, another may deem dumb or of no significance. I don't know what serves to define the best solution - but there is potential for great imbalance ultimately. Those who post acceptable content can see their Likes grow exponentially (esp if posting consistent and well-within their financial comfort)

Now the other side of the coin is a financially-strapped individual who has few, if any, resources to post (keep in mind that this site has a MASSIVE amount of material in its library, making it all the harder to obtain anything fresh(er))

If followed to the letter - the easiest option from newcomers' POVs would simply pay for sub (if one is comfortable in so doing) and then grabbing a glut of material [as to that you are referring as above] - this does, in effect, erode a sense of what this place appears to be (at least on the surface). It's an evolution of temperate opinions that drive a forum forward.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2020
  5. george

george Administrator

Staff Member Gold Member No Limit
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It is not easy to keep cheaters/leakers/bad users out and also make the forum a great place for the other users. Although the rules are rules, and they must be respected by all members, some are not very good for the community. This was one example. The rule was modified and now states:
    "Do not give likes to non-useful content. If you think the content is useful/helpful, then you can like it. Do not like non-useful posts and conserve your limited daily likes. All members are limited to 20 likes / 24 hours."

born2day, Nikon4life and Leona95 like this.
  6. alxndr

alxndr Silver IV

No Limit
    What about members who have earned 'No Limit'? Does this still apply?

7. george

george Administrator

Staff Member Gold Member No Limit
    Of course not. But the number of likes threshold was recently modified. You can read more about it on the FAQ.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Dec 2020