Astronomy Tools Actions Set v1_6

Discussion in 'Actions' started by alfern, 7 Nov 2020.

1. alfern

alfern Silver IV

No Limit
    MOAK1aF.jpg

As I progressed into astrophotography, I discovered that a great deal of digital image processing can be needed to get the best out of one's astrophotos. While some good tools were available, there were simply some functions for which there were no easy solutions, and still others that I simply found myself doing over and over again in Adobe Photoshop®. Hence Astronomy Tools were born. -Noel Carboni

Beginners: Ever shoot your own images of the night sky, then find yourself wondering how other astrophotographers make such breathtaking images while yours don't seem to have quite the same sparkle or magic? Chances are they do more digital editing of their images than you think.

Experts: These actions give you access to top-notch look and feel results otherwise difficult and time consuming to achieve. I've put together a great set of actions that deliver top quality results and can save you a bunch of time!

What do the actions in Astronomy Tools actually do?

These are professional quality actions - macro operation sequences that you load into Adobe Photoshop® - producing top quality results you can print or use in further Adobe Photoshop® operations. I put a lot of time into getting them to work just right and to combine well with other actions and operations. They work great with Adobe Photoshop® versions 6.0, CS to CS6, CC, 2020 and newer on PCs and Macintoshes alike, and come with a money-back guarantee. If you want to polish up your astrophotographs to be absolutely stellar, these actions are for you!

The Astronomy Tools Actions Set for Adobe Photoshop® gives you the following 34 functions, each of which you can invoke with a keystroke or mouse click. You may use one or several, depending on your photo.

-Construct RGB Image from Channel Files - Build a color image from red, green, blue data
    -Synthesize Green Channel from Red and Blue - Create synthetic green channel
    -Soft Color Gradient Removal - Remove a color gradient across the image
    -Hard Color Gradient Removal - Remove a severe color gradient across the image
    -Light Pollution Removal - Remove light pollution gradient and background noise
    -Light Pollution Removal Enhanced Flatten - Slightly different algorithm than above
    -Select Brighter Stars - Select only stars in your image for further processing
    -Make Stars Smaller - Make bloated stars smaller, bring out DSOs
    -Less Crunchy More Fuzzy - Smooth oversharpened images, bring out star color
    -Space Noise Reduction - Noise reduction for the darker areas of the image
    -Deep Space Noise Reduction - Noise reduction for only darkest areas of the image
    -Color Blotch Reduction - Remove only color noise, leaving fine detail intact
    -Horizontal Banding Noise Reduction - Remove sideways streaks in the dark parts
    -Vertical Banding Noise Reduction - Remove up and down streaks in the dark parts
    -Fade Sharpen to Mostly Lighten - Remove dark halos from aggressive sharpening
    -Reduce Small Blue/Violet Halos - Remove small blue/violet rings around bright stars
    -Reduce Large Blue/Violet Halos - Remove large blue/violet rings around bright stars
    -Increase Star Color - Brings color back to whited-out stars
    -Local Contrast Enhancement - Increase contrast between dark and light
    -Lighten Only DSO and Dimmer Stars - Lighten Nebula or Galaxy while keeping stars small
    -Enhance DSO and Reduce Stars - Bring out Nebula or Galaxy and reduces star size
    -B&W -> Ha False Color - Convert to color as though through Hydrogen Alpha filter
    -B&W -> Ha False Color Black Space - As above but makes open space blacker
    -B&W -> OIII False Color - Convert to color as though through Oxygen III filter
    -B&W -> OIII False Color Black Space - As above but makes open space blacker
    -Star Diffraction Spikes Tiny Stars - Put diffraction spikes around most stars
    -Star Diffraction Spikes Small Stars - Put diffraction spikes around many stars
    -Star Diffraction Spikes Medium Stars - Put diffraction spikes around larger stars
    -Star Diffraction Spikes Fat Stars - Put diffraction spikes around the largest stars
    -Negative B&W - Invert image for easy viewing of dim galaxies
    -Astro Frame - Add a background color border with room for captioning the image

The following actions can be applied immediately after a main action above has been run:

...As Layer On Top - Make two layers with action results above the original image.
    ...As Layer Underneath - Make two layers with the action results below the original image.
    ...Per Selection Only - Restrict results to the area selected before the above action was run.

The actions in Astronomy Tools work on RGB images in both 8 and 16 bit-per-color mode in Adobe Photoshop® CS to CS6 or CC; and in 8 bit mode only in Adobe Photoshop® versions 6 and 7.

How are these actions better than just doing it yourself in Photoshop?

-The actions pack a lot of complex operations into a few clicks to save you TONS of TIME!
    -They're optimized to help you produce repeatable look and feel results that are difficult to achieve by hand
    -Having higher level functions in actions helps you think in terms of results, not atomic steps.
    -An innovative approach to removing color noise creates wonderfully clean results, hard to achieve by hand.
    -Subtle Space Noise Reduction leaves images looking natural - not overprocessed.
    -These actions are all crafted to work well together. Use the ones you need, top to bottom.
    -Simple operation - a mouse click will run an action. Tie your favorites to function keys for one button operation.

https://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/AstronomyToolsActions.html

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

banki, petersan, yaad rahe and 79 others like this.
  2. mike35

mike35 Silver IV

@alfern

Thank you, I want to try it

3. FSNDET

FSNDET New Member

Newcomer
    Thank you. I just started shooting the night sky so these actions should really help with my very limited night sky PS processing skills.

4. fschollbrock

fschollbrock New Member

Newcomer
    thanks a lot. i looked a long time for this.

5. dra2000

dra2000 Silver I

Gold Member
    Thank you