Building Website on your own

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ECohen69, 22 Mar 2020.

1. ECohen69

ECohen69 New Member

Newcomer
    Hey guys,

since anybody has a lot of time on their disposal due of covid 19, i was wondering if a few of you have some experience with coding a website in html5. I wanna learn basic things from scratch to slowly progress towards the goal of creating my own website. So if you have any recommendations of how to start and useful links hmu

stay heatlhy

Fearless likes this.
  2. Fearless

Fearless Moderator

Staff Member Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    great idea
    I want to learn how to use Flothemes
    And everything about WordPress, because I don't know what it is or how it works

ECohen69 and Tin Foil Hat like this.
  3. Tin Foil Hat

Tin Foil Hat Gold Nova

No Limit
    I have experience using WordPress and since ive discovered FloThemes I've not wanted to jump back to any other wordpress theme!

If you want to look at other themes, take a look at Divi, I might be able to dig you out a working code to get the full theme working and validated on the back end.

4. ECohen69

ECohen69 New Member

Newcomer
    thought about wordpress aswell, espacially because of flo themes and the big diverence it makes. But you can only use themes if you upgrade to their monthly plans, that cost a good amount of money, so i was leaning html from scratch and then only pay for hosting.

Will keep you update about what decision i make, and maybe my progress after a little while, divi looks nice aswell but also wordpress right ?

5. Tin Foil Hat

Tin Foil Hat Gold Nova

No Limit

You don't need to subscribe to any monthly plans from FloThemes, it is only a theme they are supplying. You can if you want to however it is by no means needed, it just FloThemes push this as it is their own service. Check out https://kinsta.com/blog/wordpress-photo-gallery-plugins/ for a list of reputable plugins you can use

Yes, Divi is a WordPress theme! :)

If want to talk websites, drop me a line or we can discuss here as I have lots of website experience, from Wordpress, Squarespace and Wix :)

6. ECohen69

ECohen69 New Member

Newcomer
    But it seems as though you have to pay a monthly rate to wordpress to imply these themes.

I started yesterday getting familiar with the basic things you have to know about html now getting into css. Combined with a little bit of javascript, one is well equiped to build their first website i think.

Kocaman likes this.
  7. bbrooks

bbrooks Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Wordpress by itself is free. The monthly fees come from paying for server space/hosting. Unless you are using something free like Wix you will incur some monthly hosting fees as well as an annual domain name fee. My advice is this: knowing the basics of coding is highly encouraged for managing your website, but letting the website platform (Wordpress, Squarespace or the like) and theme (like Flothemes or Divi) do all the heavy lifting up front allows you to focus on design and customization and allows for a better end user experience.

Kocaman likes this.
  8. Kocaman

Kocaman Gold Nova

Trusted No Limit
    What about squarespace? How does the costs and custimisation compare?

9. Magic7

Magic7 Silver III