Capture One Pro - need help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Thunder, 10 Dec 2020.

1. Thunder

Thunder Legendary

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    I'm interested to move from Lightroom to Capture one pro.
    I've managed to download several from our club. But then found couple of more on the net.

The ones from the Net are pro 10 or 9 like this, "PRO EDU – Capture One Pro – 101 Course For Photographers With Pratik Naik"

My question is, if say I learn pro 9 or 10 because I can understand the accent, would there be a lot of deference to pro 20 or 21?
    Or should I learn 20 with what is available now?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. cassini

cassini Master

Trusted No Limit
    it is very easy to learn @Thunder. And if you're already loaded with v9 and v10 it will be much easier for you to adapt the whole. I do bet only the Color Editor will be a bit of change, since it has Skin Editor that goes along with the Layers.

So, if I were you, diggin' now. Try it. There's no hard on trying, after it you will see the different with in your workflow. Regards.

ponnu_78 and Thunder like this.
  3. Thunder

Thunder Legendary

@cassini I love what you just said. I do, 'n I do appreciate your advise.
    I needed to start learning, at least to take my mind away from the eye operations I've been having.

Thank you again, appreciated.

4. stevestone

stevestone Legendary

@Thunder v9 v10 and to the v13 which has a new branding its called v20 related to calendar year all their fundamental tools and panels are same. Working logic is same. When u upgrade u will find new additions like skin tool, layers and some enhancement on tools. So start with what u have. They all perform good and fast. If u have any questions feel free to ask via DM.
    Get well soon.

lkngood likes this.
  5. cassini

cassini Master

Trusted No Limit
    Wait @Thunder what is your RAW converter before? Before diving in to this software, what made you decide to shift to Capture One Pro?

And if I were you, check out the video tutorial by David Grover on Youtube, just search for Capture One webinars. Everything are all there, recent and even the previous versions. Kindly help yourself up :)

ponnu_78 and Thunder like this.
  6. LuisAngel

LuisAngel Silver III

Hey Thunder.... I got this for you..... Comprehensive tutorials from Paul Reiffer might get you there.

Paul Reiffer Live - version 21
    Title YouTub: Capture One Pro Tips - Version 21 - New Features and Updates

My two cents: learn V21 with all new features available. I did a huge mistake
    with Lightroom! Also following the CreativeLive road.

Please find the direct link, no ads, here:
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**
    I Hope this will help you for now Take care..... Cheers;)

7. Thunder

Thunder Legendary

@cassini I used Elements for sometime, then moved to Lightroom. Many a time I needed to do some work on photoshop, which I hated. Then I read about capture one when I started to purchase 5daydeal in 2018 & 19. It's around that time that I joined here.
    I've had more exposure then, got hold of Fstoppers - The Complete Capture One Editing Guide With Quentin Decaillet
    I've started the course and done great deal with it, his accent puts me off. I thought to have more exposure with other trainers.

8. cassini

cassini Master

Trusted No Limit
    Hi @LuisAngel & @Thunder, me I'm using ACR long decades before but when the Capture One Pro v9 arrives it made my jaw dropped. And then, that's why I do eager to learn the app. I did use LR for a quite sometime but it takes out so much of the memory on my hard drive. But, what I did like is the LR presets which you could used it on batch-processing. Capture One Pro, already have it now, which is the CO Styles and still limited. Since, most of the inventees are still using to formulate color grading in LR. I'm wishing that someday that Capture One will have a tool to convert all LR Presets in just a jiff, and for that Capture One Pro will be much more powerful tool when it comes to color grading. :)

Thunder and LuisAngel like this.
  9. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

A pointer -
    https://p-v.club/threads/photographers-guide-to-capture-one-20-various-formats.18991/#post-68484
    You may opt to learn at your own pace and the ebook serves as a fine reference - available in multiple formats (your choice). I started with ACR - bought many iterations of Lightroom and NEVER used it for editing - only for tethered shoots. Now using C1 - for me, the files render more pleasing to the eye . . . but don't forget the obvious - calibrate your monitor (too many peeps just don't do this important step).

cassini likes this.
  10. Thunder

Thunder Legendary

@LuisAngel Thank you, appreciated mate. Already looking into it.

LuisAngel likes this.
  11. santonio

santonio New Member

Are you alread done learning Capture One?
    If not maybe have a look at the YouTube Channel. There are already quite a few tutorials online from capture one directly.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJgJWICGMzzvXk2wIgqxVEQ

He may not is the best editor but I like him quite well es a educator.

In the actual 21 Version there is also the possibility to swipe over the tools and you will be lead to a short explanation how the tool works.

Since I switched 2 years ago I see the benefit of Capture One. It is a great very strong tool and maybe even the best RAW Converter. - Nevertheless there are some Jobs i think Lightroom does better. - But once you get used to it you can do A LOT of the work in there.

Converting Lightroom Presets:
    Since the engine is holy different it is not possible to „transform“ or convert Lightroom Presets into Capture One Styles.

I tried that for my own and for instance using the contrast slider or highlights and shadows give you a totally different result.

Sure you can achieve everything in both softwares but the settings are different.

Thunder likes this.
  12. Thunder

Thunder Legendary

@santonio much appreciated mate.
    I did little work with Capture one as I've been busy working the garden.
    I've installed/planted around 40 dwarf fruit trees. Then earlier this month got around 30 more, which are waiting to be planted.

I will plant/install multi zone irrigation system the first couple of weeks in January.
    I intend to build raised beds too for my veggies.

I'll try to kill all the weeds as well...
    I'll use various methods, such as weedmat, boiled vinegar with rock salt, garden fork.. you name it.

My photography will be on the second burner thou..

13. santonio

santonio New Member

@Thunder
    I guess this is another reason not to waste to much time watching tutorials.

what i found out is, that the most of the „professional“ Tutorials explain to much useless Details no one ever wants to now or at least needs to know.

on the other hand a few professional photographers that I know don’t use the whole things you could do with capture one.

My Advice would be, just watch a standard YouTube tutorial like „10 Reasons to use C1 instead of LR“ that you get familiar with the special functions and then just watch the tutorials directly from Capture One that explain the things you really want to learn.

that might be the most effective way. - Because bottom Line the funktions in EVERY available RAW Converter are almost the same

Thunder likes this.