ClickinMoms February 2020 Perks (Using Window Light Tutorial, winter presets, discounts)

Discussion in 'Clickin Moms' started by Crabcreek, 4 Feb 2020.

1. Crabcreek

Crabcreek Gold Nova

No Limit
    upload_2020-2-3_20-52-28.png upload_2020-2-3_20-52-33.png
    Stuck inside this winter and struggling to find inspiration to create something beautiful? Want to learn how to use window light in creative ways? We’ve got your covered! In this 15 page eGuide, Jenny shows you how to use window light in different (and interesting!) ways. Learn what to look for when it comes to identifying beautiful light indoors and how to use the light in your home and other indoor locations to create memorable photos.
    Plus, you’ll have access to chat with Jenny on the forum and ask her your light-related questions.

upload_2020-2-3_20-52-52.png
    The Winter Preset Collection includes 6 winter themed presets specifically for outdoor images. These presets will give you the perfect base to achieve a beautiful winter edit! Designed to work with Adobe Lightroom Classic CC.
    You'll also have the opportunity to ask Rachel any questions you have about using these Presets.

upload_2020-2-3_20-53-3.png
    This month, Clickin Moms members save an exclusive 25% off FOTO’s entire line of customizable leather camera straps. Their original Fotostrap collections are made with genuine leather and can be personalized with your monogram, custom text or business logo on a non-slip shoulder pad. The elegant Designer Fotostrap is made of genuine pebbled leather and was created specifically for female photographers.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

Last edited: 27 May 2022
    Carmen 85, kkqazi, eduardo and 69 others like this.
  2. kitty00

kitty00 Gold Nova

No Limit
    Thanks so much @Crabcreek for all clickinmoms content. Would you please share the shadow tutorial if possible?

"Ever see an amazing shadow photo and think - how did she do that?! Well, wonder no more! Clickin Moms Mentor jamieeilts is showing you exactly how she creates magic! Head to the link in our bio to watch this video on her editing process on the Clickin Moms forum!"

source https://www.instagram.com/p/B74ma6OgCXL/

Thanks so much in advance!

janabart and stevestone like this.
  3. janabart

janabart Gold Nova

No Limit
    thank you !!

4. Crabcreek

Crabcreek Gold Nova

No Limit
    @kitty00

VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to Create a Whimsical Shadow Photo

Childhood is such a fleeting time full of magic and wonder, and sometimes it is fun to add a bit of magic and whimsy to a photo to help showcase a child’s vivid imagination. There are, of course, many ways to do this, but one way that I have done this has been creating an ongoing series where I use a shadow behind my child to portray what he or she may be imagining while playing. In this tutorial, I’ll walk you through my creative process and show you how to create a shadow photo of your own!

IMG_4907-Edit-Edit.jpg.45d56ebef8dd5f0a7cdba315b42139b7.jpg

1. Brainstorm an Idea

This is the fun part!! I love to involve my kids in the creative process with these shadow photos. You can also come up with ideas just by observing your child(ren) as they are playing and speculating what they are imagining as they play. You can also consider art, stories/books, music, etc. as sources of inspiration for these creative photos as well. My daughter was Princess Aurora obsessed around the time of her 5th birthday, so we came up with the plan for this photo together just based on how she was playing one day.

IMG_7171-Edit.JPG.28874946edfc9e4dd6c2887cf56c9516.jpg

2. Find your Clipart

Once you have an idea for a photo, you will need to find your clipart to make your shadow(s). Some people prefer to shoot their photo before looking for clipart, and that is fine too. I usually have some kind of idea in mind and then look for clipart first to make sure I know how to shoot my child.

To find my clipart, I typically do a Google image search with keywords such as “princess silhouette” or “castle silhouette clipart”. You wouldn’t have to use a silhouette clipart as you could darken any image to work as a shadow, but using a silhouette photo will make your edit much easier! There are many, many sources of clipart that you will find with a simple Google search, but there are some things to look for as you search. You have to be very careful to read the terms for each image that you plan to use. I always make sure that the image is free to use (or I purchase it as I did with one of the photos that I am using in the video tutorial through a stock agency or directly through an artist’s website or Etsy shop) and can be manipulated. You need to make sure to see if the image is to be used for personal use or otherwise, and you need to read about whether or not use of the image will require any type of attribution if posted on social media or otherwise.

3. Take your Photo

There are a couple of things to keep in mind when shooting these photos. First, keep your clipart in mind. Your subject will need to be positioned in a way that makes sense with the clipart. Your subject should be positioned in a way that a shadow falling behind him/her makes sense as well. I usually shoot near a window so that the light would be falling off sharply behind my subject creating a shadow. It is easiest to shoot this with a wide open wall to avoid having to remove any décor in post-processing, but this is definitely not a deal breaker if you can’t find an open wall. Similarly, you’ll want as much space as possible, but you can definitely extend your canvas in post-processing which I’ll show you how to do in the video. I usually wait for an overcast day to avoid any real shadows falling behind my subject which I would have to remove in post-processing to allow for the pretend shadows. Lastly, if you are having to do any type of composite, you may want to use a tripod to keep everything in line and get your settings such that they won’t need to be changed when shooting. Again, all of that can be fixed in the editing process, but it makes things much easier if you think of them while shooting. Here is a pullback photo of the photo that I will be editing in this tutorial. As you can see, I am set up near a window as my light source. I did move my couch a bit to allow for more space, but I will still be extending the canvas in the editing video as well.

IMG_4475.jpg.99b2ce43c0e8d328d41f658e4ab3da90.jpg

4. Edit Your Image

I will do a full edit for you in the editing video below, but I want to do a quick overview of the editing process here. The first thing I do is apply some basic edits in Lightroom. I then take my photo into Photoshop where I add space to the canvas (if needed), do any compositing that needs to be done, and add the shadow and make it look appropriate to the scene. I will also add a floor reflection if needed. Lastly, I take the photo back into Lightroom and apply some additional edits, particularly to the exposure/light in the image, to make it blend together better.

IMG_3410-Edit-4.JPG.5bd783b3b7822fdeab94526baa4b709c.jpg

Watch me create a shadow image here:
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

5. kitty00

kitty00 Gold Nova

No Limit
    @Crabcreek Thank you so so much!!!! You could totally make this a separate thread to get more likes ;)

@Skittles check out this cool tutorial !

Marceline likes this.
  6. Crabcreek

Crabcreek Gold Nova

No Limit
    I know ... but then I have to create a pdf, download the video, upload to Mega ... ergh ... consider this a freebie :)

madmax365, janabart and kitty00 like this.
  7. jockerhacker

jockerhacker Silver III

thank you great job :)

madmax365, Kocaman and Crabcreek like this.
  8. Jayce

Jayce Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Great job!!!!

madmax365 likes this.
  9. idunno

idunno Gold

Gold Member No Limit

@admin this links to a free YouTube video

10. kitty00

kitty00 Gold Nova

No Limit
  11. Jayce

Jayce Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    upload_2022-5-11_6-47-56.png

How could you search with unlisted video?

12. Crabcreek

Crabcreek Gold Nova

No Limit
    Geez, no good deed goes unpunished o_O

lkngood likes this.
  13. Aberti

Aberti New Member

Can you please reupload? Thanks!

14. Crabcreek

Crabcreek Gold Nova

No Limit
    Reuploaded and link changed