Done COLOR SHIFT DCTLS - MONONODES

Discussion in 'Video Requests' started by LuCkYaN, 27 Jun 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandaflip

pandaflip New Member

In absolute terms you are right. But in reality, many (most... 99%?) of people here aren't using these tools in a paid-for working environment. I'm guessing here, but if users here are like me then they are interested hobbyists who are experimenting. I have never done anything with any of the projects I've worked on as a hobbyist - they don't even make it to YouTube. If these tools weren't available from sites such as these then people such as myself would not be buying them, we would be ignoring them. I can't afford to indulge my hobby by dropping $100 here and there for tools that help marginally increase the perception of weight or depth in a shade of red. It would just be ignored.
    But think what does happen when these tools find their way into the community by routes such as this site; an awareness builds. These tools drop into the lexicon. Think about Photoshop: 20 years ago it was known to the industry but no one "in the real world" had heard of it. Now it's a verb: to "photoshop". I would argue that, in (large) part that's due to piracy. Does that benefit Adobe? Sure it does. I know lots of people who use PS and Lightroom professionally because it is the tool they know. They don't use Affinity or DXO because they haven't been messing around with them in their bedroom as a teenager. Every professional I know uses legitimate software (if only from the fear of being audited!). So these bedroom thieves who graduated to the professional world are locked into Adobe rather than DXO BECAUSE they used pirated copies, not in spite of.
    So... if you are devleoper, I hope (for your sake) that lots of hobbyists access your work for free (on trial if you prefer) because your tool might end up being the go-to plug in on Netflix and Disney in 5 years time; and you'll (hopefully) have gained your just rewards.
    Not a rant, just an opinion.

2. rider3000

rider3000 New Member

Firstly, equating hobbyist use to a free trial period doesn't quite add up. Free trials are usually for a limited time, after which you are expected to pay if you want to continue using the product. Continuous unauthorized use is, effectively, stealing, regardless of whether the product is being used professionally or as a hobby.

Secondly, the success stories you mention, where a pirated tool becomes an industry standard, are the exception rather than the rule. For every Adobe Photoshop, there are hundreds of tools that are regularly pirated but never achieve widespread success. The creators of these tools often end up losing out.

Finally, there are legal and ethical concerns to consider. Just because a practice has become widespread does not mean it's right. Individual creators deserve to be compensated for their work, and that includes hobbyist use.

In my opinion, you can use free DCTLs instead. When I had no money, I too pirated, but I never ripped off individual content creators.

You cannot steal a camera, PC, SD cards, or batteries (even as a hobbyist) but for software you say, "It's ok, they might get big, I am just a hobbyist." I think that's not cool. My opinion.

3. LuCkYaN

LuCkYaN New Member

Let's return to our topic: anyone got them? :)
    +1

4. pandaflip

pandaflip New Member

I would never buy this DCTL - unless for professional use - so under any way you look at it the creator has not missed out on a sale. I would give it a 30 day free trial, but Stefan hasn't offered that - it is probably too difficult to technically protect it. As I conceded, in absolute terms you are right. But whether I download Mononodes or not, no financial hit is taken by Stefan Ringelschwandtner. It may be true that for every Photoshop there are hundreds of softwares that never broke through, but would they have been successful in the market anyway? Who knows - probably not. But even those duds may have been successes as the developers may have gone on to work in development for bigger production houses. Who knows; Stefan may end up being offered work at Blackmagic. Total speculation but I bet it's happened to other developers.
    Imagine a busker singing a Beatles hit on a street corner. Does (s)he pay the Performing Rights Society 5 cents each time he sings it? Of course not. Should (s)he? Yeah, legally. Is anyone hurt? Is McCartney losing out? Or does McCartney thank the busker because a passing 8 year old who digs the song and asks mum "what song is that?" then downloads the original for 5 cents and becomes a fan for life.
    In any case, as I'm happy to concede once again: you are correct, but I believe I am not wrong.

5. rider3000

rider3000 New Member

No Financial Hit: This logic is flawed. Your decision not to purchase doesn't justify unauthorized use. Other potential buyers may follow suit, leading to significant losses.

Exposure vs. Exploitation: Your busker comparison is off-base. A cover song isn't the same as gaining full utility of a product without paying for it.

Rewarding Work: Even if piracy can lead to opportunities, it offers no justification. Creators should be compensated directly, not through speculative 'what ifs.'

And yes, I understand this might not be the best place to discuss piracy ethics.
    However, even 20 years ago, being as poor as f*ck, we, as artists and creators ourselves, would never rip off individuals.
    There's a difference between:
    A. robbing a bank and
    B. robbing an individual.

6. pandaflip

pandaflip New Member

This is clearly going to make your head explode so (once again) I concede you are right. We are stealing (as I have always conceded). Luckily it was only a bit of maths and a .txt file and not a 20 cent potato that a farmer lost from a field that he had ploughed 4 months earlier then seeded then fought off the crows from eating the seed then harvested with his $300,000 machine. Now stealing THAT item would have been REALLY bad.
    Now... where is this DCTL? ;)
    PS post something so that you can have the last word. It's fine. You win :rolleyes:

7. STORMZZ

STORMZZ New Member

Gold Member
    +1
    Also in for group buy

8. rider3000

rider3000 New Member

@pandaflip: lol. I will. "potato that a farmer lost from a field". With your logic stealing "virtual money" is fine. Because: It is just numbers, right? My last words: Stealing from one singe individual artist is an a**hole move. fact. But go on. But IMO even on a platform like this you should care. You can read into "hackerethic" or "copyleft" movement and 1000 other sources. bye.

9. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    I think you're in wrong forum bro, we don't do piracy here, we only do group buys, you know sharing is caring. It maybe 200$ but on developing countries its 30k in their currency. But if a software's value vs price is good enough people will buy it, if its pricy people will find alternatives. So stop torturing yourself coz nobody will be hearing, we've been doing this for too long as it becomes part of our lifes.

10. rider3000

rider3000 New Member

"Sharing" a single-user license breaches the agreement, and that's illegal. I sympathize with cost concerns, especially in developing countries, but this cannot justify license violations. Seek affordable alternatives. " "we don't do piracy here"" . You can label it what you want, but still: "unauthorized distribution of software is illegal and harmful to creators".

11. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Master

I don't know Stefan, I guess you have to find another way of making money, if its software it will be pirated one way or another, even if we don't buy or share here also someone else will buy and share it elsewhere on internet and it will be share back here again. World's total population is 10 Billion, you can control, convince each and every one of them, so is life. Stop thinking about agreement and all that jazz, agreement is for developed ones, you can't go saying its on agreement on Chinese site or an Afghan site coz they never care, we don't care. Such things had happened before on cgpersia so many times, developers coming to whine but nobody cares

Last edited: 8 Jul 2023
  12. rider3000

rider3000 New Member

looool. ChatGTP is thinking your comment is racist. Congrats. And you've convinced me. Stealing is cool. Silly me.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2023
  13. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Master

ChatGPT told me you are Stefan and you work for illuminati

14. pandaflip

pandaflip New Member

Don't laugh but the only person who is making money from Mononodes' DCTL is Darren Mostyn: after being given a free copy of the Mononodes DCTL. 6 seconds into Darren's video he says "..I've just used this on a job...".
    Stefan will be a viral sensation.
    (Meanwhile Darren tweaks the colour of the Tardis in Dr.Who for Disney for free o_O)
    The world is a funny place.

15. LuCkYaN

LuCkYaN New Member

Let's return to our topic: anyone got them? :)
    +1

16. kagylo

kagylo Gold

No Limit
    +1 for this :)

17. guigui1986

guigui1986 New Member

Gold Member
  18. Jonas99

Jonas99 New Member

19. STORMZZ

STORMZZ New Member