Colorama: The World's Largest Photographs [PDF]

Discussion in 'Photo eBooks' started by Nikon4life, 4 Jan 2024.

1. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Colorama: The World's Largest Photographs
    by Peggy Roalf (Editor), Alison Nordström (Contributor)

More Info HERE

File Format: PDF
    File Size: 40.65 MB
    Publication Date: June 2005

upload_2024-1-3_21-21-56.png

upload_2024-1-3_21-22-36.png

upload_2024-1-3_21-23-21.png

upload_2024-1-3_21-24-10.png

Billed as “The World's Largest Photographs,” Eastman Kodak's 18-by-60-foot Coloramas brought photography to the masses with a spectacular display of communicative power. During its 40-year run in Grand Central Terminal in New York City, the Colorama program presented a panoramic photo album of American scenes, lifestyles and achievements from the second half of the twentieth century. Produced in association with the George Eastman House Collection, Colorama explores the history of these colossal images. A selection of the most striking images are beautifully reproduced, making these images available to viewers nostalgic for American life in decades gone by, as well as people with a personal connection to the original display in Grand Central Station.

Mirror below . . . :cool:

Last edited: 30 Jun 2024
  2. dzinetokyo

dzinetokyo Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Gold

Gold Member No Limit
    Those photos make me wish I grew up in the 50's

dzinetokyo likes this.
  4. Nikon4life

Yeah - I wonder . . . I've heard many people say "those were the days . . . " but only to eventually come to the realization that indeed things are relatively better-off now - I guess somewhat balanced by the ease of which technology has provided more leisure time but the corporate-side has "demanded" greater production - - - the missing component still is somewhat evasive - - - that of allowing time for oneself to actually enjoy themselves . . . (at least in America).

I recall speaking with a Physician who had an Israeli peer of equal aptitude and moral compass come state-side to pursue employ in NYC only to return to Israel because she thought American's are whacked with regard to the hustle that's required to maintain any semblance of "living" - - - she was completely perplexed at the lack of time allotted for taking care of oneself . . . :confused:

One must find their Zen at some point . . . :cool:

dzinetokyo likes this.
  5. dzinetokyo

dzinetokyo Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    @Nikon4life , your comment triggered this stream of consciousness... (Fade in with Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi from the Blue Album as BGM)
    In the late seventies, I was making pie charts for client pitches with an Xacto cutter, compass and adding the shading with rub-n Screentone. Then came the original Mac, the Imagewriter printer, and my huge 20Mb external drive. I was doing voiceover work and then working with a masterful editor who literally cut and tape the final reel to reel together, then came desktop recording and software like Mark of the Unicorn's Performer. From hiring couriers to the wonder of faxing reports around the world to email and Internet, I have constantly reinvented my work and lifestyle. From the Patsy Cline to the Beach Boys and Beatles and through disco, synth driven pops, etc., etc. etc., the surrounding ambience has evolved at an ever accelerating rate, and is increasingly distancing itself from my sensibilities to my chagrin.
    But perhaps of all the life-changing innovations, I have to point to Toto and their "Washlet" shower toilet which has been the commode in my many abodes since the 80s - four decades of a clean bum. I believe it and its contribution to hygiene are one of the reasons why Covid had less impact here. (In Japan, they are today ubiquitous, while still relatively rare in the West.) I could never go back to the 50s, 60s, or 70s without my "Washlet". In utmost seriousness, it has come to symbolize quality of living for me.
    While the other things like Macs and smartphones have made my life easier, frankly I always find joy and satisfaction in every process, especially when "work" becomes a ritual of thought, effort and collaboration. Whether it is watching my buddy still work with platinum prints or struggling with Photoshop, the end result is the concrete creation of intent. This applies to programming a Roomba and the feel of a clean carpet, or my garden elegantly coiffed by a 70-year gardener with his equally venerable crafted shears honed on a whetstone.
    Now comes AI, and I again have to confront translating innovation into personal fulfillment/satisfacction in life and work. I think this may be a hurdle too high for me. Oh well, I think it's time to retreat to Washlet-equipped throne, turn on iTunes and find solace in some Allman Bros blues or maybe the Köln Concert by Keith Jarrett, and look through my digital copy of Colorama on my ipad. Ahhhh... happiness.

Nikon4life likes this.
  6. Nikon4life

Well stated - and to find joy in what you do as one adapts to those changes of "modernity" - I remember Mark of the Unicorn . . .

I once paid cash ($800) for a used Tascam 488 which I really don't want to know $$ is nowadays [adjusted for inflation] - my spouse would probably retroactively kill me . . . but still have the Metal Dolby S tapes - but don't ask me to remember bouncing tracks on that thing to minimize bleed-over (that was a bear - for me - on that thing) . . . and distantly recall actually how well it all sounded for such a small basement-style recording format. I really must [someday] convert those to digital . . .

. . . then came across
    Tweak's Home Studio Guide
    Which was a cornucopia of info and potential wallet-draining how-to on home recording . . . but what fun!

And of course photography . . .

Your words are true and undoubtedly resonate with many within this forum! As time marches on for me I can only reiterate to keep things simple - and truly live in the moment . . . peace to you always . . .

dzinetokyo likes this.
  7. Coraline

Coraline Legendary

Mirror:

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

nikonredneck, dhcnet, greif and 5 others like this.
  8. apolonator

apolonator Silver I

Many thanks!