Create a Group where members can buy tutorials that are less than $200 and after 2 months share it

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by puppetwarp, 17 Dec 2021.

1. puppetwarp

puppetwarp Gold Nova

No Limit
    I really think the time has come when trusted members who have been here quite a while should be allowed to create small group buys and then share with the rest of the community after 2 or 3 months.
    There are a few tutorials that I would currently love to join a group buy but the rules won't allow it.
    Discuss.

tradewithsindra, Cassidy and BLT like this.
  2. Shark13

Shark13 Silver I

This is the most important thread and well done you opened it. . We lose a lot of seminars with incredible material because no administrator helps to create some GB's. The days go by and nothing happens as a result of which we miss important seminars..

3. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    I think this is a great idea at a surface level - but of utmost concern will always be maintaining anonymity. The existing threshold for GBs probably satisfies an acceptable benefit on return to sustain the day-to-day operation of the site. Without doubt, I'm certain that non-sanctioned GBs are occurring outside the forum and ultimately being shared for the benefit of all here (and there's really nothing innately "wrong" with that process; I've gotten many things in the past with contributions amongst several like-minded peeps in my circle of "friends."

Next comes "payment" and the process of exchange for goods. If monetary, again anonymity is a concern. Bitcoin or other crypto would serve well here - but that involves multiple processes and a bit of a learning curve.

An untapped proposal would / could be assigning "value" to Trophy Points and utilizing those to "pay" for items. The structure and value would need to be hashed out [modified] to be equitable for all while maintaining anonymity. This is essentially the premise behind Bitcoin; only the TP would exist solely within the world of this forum. Or, simply create a new form [and subsequent NAME] for something comparable that serves as a form of "payment" and "reward" or [choose your title here].

Then comes management and coordination: someone has to do for the smaller proposals what now occurs for the present GBs. This is a process that would benefit from extension to trusted individuals and standardized / established protocol - and the tasks associated with such needs to address compensation for one's time (very few have consistent uncompensated free time); and that should not be expected.

But I like the idea . . . ;)

4. dinobytes

dinobytes Gold

No Limit
    I've thought about this, but like others have mentioned, it's tricky to remain anonymous.There's also the trust factor of sending the anonymous payments. As much as we'd all love to trust each others, especially those of us who do contribute often, sadly it is still the internet.

5. vrdude

vrdude Moderator

Staff Member Gold Member No Limit
    Echoiing Admin post here. From https://p-v.club/threads/group-buy-not-only-over-200-bucks.40513/

When we started this forum(h1ghm1nd and myself) it was actually because of the group buys that were difficult to organize.
    And there is actually new content that needs to be posted, but it takes time(too much time) for just one person(h1ghm1nd) to organize and post all the new content and the group buys.
    Until that gets done I agree to change the rules and make it easier for other members to organize group buys.
    So, these changes will be done, starting from now:
    - GB minimum price lowered to 99.
    - non-moderators, but trusted members(that have at least 10k likes or 1k messages) can organize group-buys.

6. Nikon4life

This is great - but what is absent is any standardized "best practice" approach to the details surrounding payment, recording standards (if that is what's required), and distribution . . . maintaining an element of anonymity and minimizing attention to the obvious . . . :cool:

7. lunareclipse

lunareclipse Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Id like it lowered if possible. Theres a few actions id love to get but they are all around the $100 range and not able to get a GB for it, but others are interested in GB for it as well. Hopefully it can be changed! Im always down for a GB for actions or something in the $100 range if multiple people go in on it.

8. Nikon4life

The threshold (low) is 99 (Euros or US-dollars) - so any "trusted" member can organise a Group Buy at that level; this is already outlined . . . and previously approved by George (senior administrator) . . . :cool:

9. lunareclipse

lunareclipse Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Oh thats great, I thought it was 200. Great to know :) Hopefully there will be more group buys for things at that price.

10. mrlulhahhah

mrlulhahhah Silver IV

No Limit
    Well where are these trusted members at? I got like 5 courses I’m ready to throw in on but that whole GB group is basically dead.

11. dinobytes

dinobytes Gold

No Limit
    I'm more curious what exactly qualifies someone as "trusted". I've definitely seen a few in here labeled as "trusted", with far fewer likes than me and only recently joined o_O

12. Nikon4life

https://p-v.club/threads/group-buys-changes.40558/

13. aileron747

aileron747 Silver IV

No Limit
    I agree with this. I have 3 courses that I want to participate in a GB. These are not mediocre courses, but very popular ones. So I actually expect that a GB will be set up quickly. So far, it doesn't run smoothly.

14. aileron747

aileron747 Silver IV

No Limit
    I have only participated once in a GB. I requested a course from Pat Kay. A few days after I post, h1ghm1nd wanted to make a GB out of it and pinned it to the top of all the posts. And I noticed that more and more people wanted to join. Also because the participation cost was relatively low, $25. As a result we surpassed the goal and we have 27 members who participate in the GB.

In my honest opinion, I think the reason why GB doesn't run smoothly is because there's a lack of initiation by the admin/trusted members.

15. aileron747

aileron747 Silver IV

No Limit
    I think the holy formula for a successful GB is this:

Succesfull GB = power(or trust) + initiation

People like @mrlulhahhah and me have initiation, but lack power. And the trusted members/or admin have the power but lack initiation. (Except for h1ghm1nd)

16. dinobytes

dinobytes Gold

No Limit
    strange that I've seen some who don't fall under that criteria. I can't recall the screename but I'll come back to update if I see it pop up again. It may have been posted on one of mine but I honestly don't have time to dig that into it.

17. Nikon4life

Understood - but I would guess a status label of "trusted" is an automated process based on hitting that target 1000 posts; it's simply a reflection of one's participation and longevity within the forum. That status alone doesn't mean anything relative to the person's ability to organize a Group Buy and manage all the sub-elements associated with such . . . :(