Davinci Resolve - Help

Discussion in 'Help' started by need2know, 14 Jun 2024.

1. need2know

need2know Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Good day friends. I'm interested in switching from FCPX to Davinci and I want to ask the Davinci users which tutorial do you think is best for learning the program? Are there any specific things I need to know before I make the switch? FCPX was fairly easy to learn and I was able to get moving with it very quickly. All this talk about nodes and DCTLs and such has made me hesitant to change. Will you all help me out with some advice please? Thanks in advance.

2. Snook

Snook Master

Gold Member No Limit
    Youtube is your friend but there are several good tutorials shared here if you search.. Sam Holder among others.. I also use FCPX on a daily basis and have tried several times to switch over but just cannot do it. I have too many amazing plugins I use with FCPX, the only advantage to Davinci is better color grading and maybe their noise reduction is top of the line. But beside that not worth the hassle to learn a whole new way of editing. The other things that I wish Davinci would add it the easy way of ripping through selects and marking in and out hitting F, marking is as a favorite and moving on quickly to later on be able to edit from just those favorites selects quickly. The way you have to do that in Davinci is just stupid and too many steps to bother with and is WAY slower. I can rip through a session very very quickly in FCPX just with that option.
    Good luck
    And since I use Sony, the option for exporting xml just to color grade from FCPX to Davinci is also a PIA bc of the timecode mismatch between Sony cameras and Davinci and also makes it almost impossible to do. Unless your need to color grade a feature film or something really really important, Davinci is over kill in my opinion. My clients want/need things yesterday and I just color grade in FCPX and no complaints from my clients.

need2know likes this.
  3. need2know

need2know Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Thanks @Snook You make some really good points. I have a pc with 64gb RAM and my Mac is only 16gb so I'm looking for a good editing program that will allow me to make the transition from MAC to PC for the added processing power since FCPX can not run on pc. I've heard Davinci was good for getting the best looks so I thought I might give it a try.

4. need2know

need2know Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Trying to make the switch from MAC to PC maybe I should try Premiere instead.

5. MrFrazier

MrFrazier New Member

I been trying to switch from FCPX to Davinci myself and as I find it better in certain things, Im with Snook on this I have to many great plugins, transitions, titles, etc, for FCPX that I dont wanna give up. Will keep trying but my workflow is 1mil times faster in FCPX.

need2know likes this.
  6. Snook

Snook Master

Gold Member No Limit
    Yes, I am just to use to FCPX and can breeze through my clips and make my videos. I am sure if I spent a lot of time in Davinici I could get almost as fast. One of the things that I cannot get around or do better, besides the plugins I have bc I do have a contact to buy a lot of plugins for "cheap", is That with FCPX I can rip through my clips, hit I/O then F and then just choose views favorites and with all those favorited clips I can make a video super super fast. The way it works in Davinci is just too different and too many extra steps to make a Bin or whatever is needed to do something similar. I have gotten in "arguments" with Davinci users bc they say it is quite quick, but there is always an extra key stroke or dragging clips into the bins or whatever, Nothing is faster than FCPX. Not to mention I just really wanted to maybe gt better color grading option with Davinci but currently I get by with just color grading in FCPX and my clients are fine with my color. I am not making any feature films or need any super precise color grades personally.

need2know likes this.
  7. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Fast is dry argument, it depends on the need, quality and budget of the client. It also depends on the experience of the editor/colorist with the specific software they are using to edit the video. There are so many shortcuts, tips and tricks we learn on the way while learning, using the software. There is no good or bad software only advantages and disadvantages as per our needs. And opinions about which one is better is always biased. For me I have been using resolve quite a while now, pretty much faster than any other premiere users in my circle. If you're not experienced in the software it will obviously be slow that doesn't mean its bad, its just your lacking the knowledge of how to get around it.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2024
    need2know likes this.
  8. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Master

There are plugins, transitions and titles for Resolve too, but the market aint mature and big as premiere or fcp. Its there, you have to research it, put some time on rnd. The opposite can be said for fcp or premiere too, they have less tools, techniques, plugins about color grading and look development. Its one way or another. Nothing is perfect:confused:

First 2 3 months using resolve felt like a waste when I started learning it. I shifted all my premiere keyboard shortcuts to resolve and that's when the fun started.

9. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Master

It depends on your needs mate, if you're deep into grading go resolve. If you're somewhat light on grading and heavy on editing go premiere. But 90% of the stuffs that premiere do - can be done by resolve but premiere cant even do 30% of resolve. Its weak. In premiere, you cant simultaneously stabilize and retime a clip, have to nest the clip in premiere:eek:, cant stabilize clip all at once, less modes of stabilization. Copying and pasting grades is hell. Adjustment layers and lumetri :mad:. These are some of my nagging experiences with premiere. It maybe good for others but its not my thing. I didnt miss anything when I made the switch.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2024
    need2know likes this.
  10. Snook

Snook Master

Gold Member No Limit
    Agreed, And I meant my personal working 30 years and editing videos on a daily basis opinion. I can always make an xml and color grade in Davinci and have done over the last 15 years or so, but that is another story all together. Premiere Pro in my opinion is the worst of them all, again my opinion, the constant crashes and small interface. I opened it a couple of times over the last 30 years and then closed it right away... hahahaha But each is own. I know there are many plugins for Davinci, just not enough for my "needs" or the ones I use on a daily basis, but they will get there no doubt. For Davinci has the best noise reduction, which I never really need, and color grading tools. But that again is my personal opinion so no one gets bent out of shape of which is better or not, you are correct, there is No better anything. For my workflow it is the best for me. :cool:

11. MrFrazier

MrFrazier New Member

Yeah ima stay trying it but until I get it down ill use FCPX for the most part. Im not good at the color grading its gone take time to learn. As for transitions and titles and stuff yeah I ve some and have alot of stuff I can get im just thinking too much on it.