Do Jose Villa, KT Merry and Elizabeth Messina only use natural light for their wedding photography?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by moonwalker, 12 Jun 2021.

1. moonwalker

moonwalker Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    There are groups of fine art "film" photographers with high pay and flock with top clientele, like Jose Villa, KT Merry, and Elizabeth Messina to name a few. And when I looked into their works, seems they are only using natural light for the pre-ceremony till the reception shoot.

In the other spectrum, we have a dramatic style like SLR Lounge that flash equipped wedding.

I just want to go into wedding photography, can you share more about the style above?
    I didn't buy the story that fine art photographers are only using natural light. How they control the weather, bad lighting, etc? Oh, maybe they can do that by processing the film into black and white.

Hope to listen and learn more from my wedding photographers here.

2. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Silver III

Wedding videographer with photography background.
    To me, it seems that they only show the photographs best suit their style.
    Not all wedding will have the best light available.

Ray1974 likes this.
  3. moonwalker

moonwalker Master

Exactly, maybe they just showed what they want to show in their portfolio.

For the fine art photographers that didn't really add on artificial lights, their last resort is to change the photo to black and white to "hide" the imperfection of the lighting flaws.

And looking into their "full" wedding photos below, I feel like, their work is technically achievable. The different factor is their branding, networks, experiences and circle of wedding planners.

Elizabeth Messina
    https://weddingstylemagazine.com/in...dth=90%&height=90%&inline=true#block-block-21

KT Merry
    https://weddingstylemagazine.com/in...-acqualina-resort-and-spa-sunny-isles-florida

Jose Villa
    https://www.stylemepretty.com/vault/gallery/122271

What do you think?

4. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Silver III

It does look achievable. I like Jose Villa's the most, I can see some photoshop work being done to remove unwanted objects and fix imperfections.
    You could definitely do it, maybe start with a couple of editorials and show the type of wedding you'd like to shoot

moonwalker likes this.
  5. salleno

salleno Master

To me, they all have that over-exposed Fuji look and if you have the right presets and can decently expose your pictures, then you're set.

The harder thing is finding the right clients and keeping them booked consistently. This requires constant marketing and promotion.

I've taught a few photographers how to shoot events, weddings included, and my rule is...."if everything else fails, just add grain and do it in black and white."

arturolverad and moonwalker like this.
  6. Robert

Robert Silver II

I can't see any pro event photographer not having the ability to add light since not really a do-over, but yeah they have learned the lesson so many shoot and give cd in the park panhandlers haven't which is that no one needs to see every shot

moonwalker likes this.
  7. moonwalker

moonwalker Master

Thanks all for the input. Appreciate that.