Hello! Talk to me! 30-year programmer but attempting to transition into the visual/video/fx world

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by Lokicatalina, 10 Jul 2022.

1. Lokicatalina

Lokicatalina New Member

Newcomer
    Looking forward to sharing and learning with you all! I've mostly a programmer (and commercial insurance salesman, family business lol), but whenever the opportunity comes up for making a front-end, flyer, video, etc people always tell me how I could easily switch careers and I've decided to give it a honest shot... I'm currently building up a portfolio and we'll see if I can make that dream come true. Code is lucrative, rewarding and fun, I love it... But there's just something about Photoshop, After Effects, Blender and all the plugins that just feels like magic to me.

Some of my current gear:
    Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (love this phone, even with it's horrible battery life which feels like a drone battery lol) Speaking of...
    DJI Mavic Mini 2 purchased just for giggles. I've had a few clients ask to do building shots for thier website, and I've always had to call a friend, so I just decided to splurge and now I'm having fun taking random shots all over town
    DJI Osmo Mobile 3 - love this little guy. When I skate around town this makes all my shots feel way more pro.
    Canon Rebel T3i - When I really need manual control of my photos, want to do macro stuff, or long-exposure I whip out this guy. Although I have to say, with my Samsung ultra S23 it's pretty much only those special uses cases that it gets used since Photography is not my talent.
    I have tons of raspberry pis around my house, and several PCs including a gaming rig. Glad that GPU prices finally came down.
    I am also a DJ and have Technics 1200s and my favorite new toy for gigs, a Rane One. (Effin love that thing)

That's probably more than you need to know especially since I doubt very many people read these forums. But if you did read all of this, please drop a reply I'd love to meet and talk to you!