Help me find or make a preset for this film processing style

Discussion in 'Help' started by Ruslan17, 27 Mar 2021.

1. Ruslan17

Ruslan17 Master

No Limit
    128185593_670416410343816_1987043876357188668_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-2.cdninstagram.jpg
    127686006_448570156544384_2187750316337082808_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-2.cdninstagram.jpg

Friends, please help me find a preset for such film processing, preferably for the mobile version of Lightroom
    Or can someone make a preset themselves?

2. misty1111

misty1111 New Member

Gold Member
    Also interested! Looks cool!

3. b4bylon

b4bylon New Member

they look as pages scanned from a magazine. So print them using a color laser printer and then scan them and voila, u have the preset :)

crownedrentals and alexxkidd like this.
  4. wagaboo

wagaboo Master

No Limit
    I'm sure an old kodak instamatic preset would do it :)

5. misty1111

misty1111 New Member

Gold Member
    Lol yes printing and scanning would likely to the effect. But I would love to get the feel and tones without losing the quality of the image. I also don't have printer / scanner that would now kill the quality totally. :D

6. s_the_ghost

s_the_ghost Pro

I think it's better to learn how to do this by hand than to just use a preset, it's great practice and gets you used to working in a more refined way with your editing.

Start with a film preset pack like one of the "The Archetype Process" Kodak or Fuji packs from the forum. Those seem like a good starting point for a film look.

Once you find the closest match, start by playing with contrast / highlights / shadows / curves. This obviously has some washed out blacks and film looks usually have a fair amount of highlight rolloff. Put these reference photos in B&W and edit your photo during this step in B&W as well so you can work on contrast and luminosity only, not letting color affect your edit.

Then put the photo back into color, and adjust in the HSL to match the photos as best as you can. Pay attention to the colors you have here as a reference like greens shifted blue with low saturation and luminosity, etc. Obviously not a lot of saturation overall here, so shouldn't be too hard to adjust.

Then finally add some nice film grain to get that film look.

If you're having a hard time getting the colors just right, finish off by fine-tuning the calibration.

I liked the suggestion above about printing and scanning the image. But if you really don't want to go that route, try doing an adjustment brush where you can paint out some of the sharpness and detail by removing clarity, dehaze, and texture with a low flow brush and just keep going over the spots until it looks right. Might even want to put a luminosity range mask on that adjustment to wash out more of the details in the highlighted areas.

Just thinking out loud, but try it out and maybe you'll get that look a lot faster and easier instead of just relying on a preset ;) good luck!

alecto23 likes this.