How to download troublesome embedded, private, Vimeo videos (Win 64)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by curiousdude, 16 Apr 2024.

1. DesertFox

DesertFox Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    You are an intelligent and knowledgeable person mr.c, so time on the site to suggest and offer ideas for improvement should simply be shared when you have them in my opinion.

By the way, krakenfiles.com is a nice free hosting site with a file size limit of 2 GB.

2. george

george Administrator

Staff Member Gold Member No Limit
    This is exactly why we have the "Help" forum.
    Do you think it should be renamed?

3. DesertFox

DesertFox Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    @george, glad to see that you are paying attention. :) No, not necessarily renamed, but perhaps a sub-forum would be appropriate? There are so many different type items posted in the HELP forum and what I am suggesting is a forum where members can posting "teaching tools", not asking for help.

4. mr.c

mr.c Master

Gold Member No Limit
    yes like a sub section for confirmed/verified solutions. When the other piece can often be discussion... I have an issue Houston.

DesertFox likes this.
  5. curiousdude

curiousdude Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    This is the biggest reason I always package stuff into multi-part files where the parts are no greater than 5GB (I usually pack a little smaller than that because some sites use the colloquial GB (i.e. 1,000 MB) and some use the correct measurement of GB (i.e. 1,024 MB). Packaging a file over that size in parts allows people to refresh their IP using a VPN once they've downloaded each chunk rather than trying to download it all at once and hitting speed caps.

Every service has some kind of limitation, whether it be file size limitations, streaming limitations, access period/length of time limitations - so it is what it is, really. These services are incentivized to make money so they do everything they can to incentivize you to subscribe. To further complicate matters, different people in different countries can access different sites differently. This is why I was posting for quite some time with two services at once - a mirror of my own post, really. Takes a lot to upkeep though and it's not sustainable to keep track of it all. And then to add insult to injury, you have entitled cretins who run around yelling at you that it's not their preferred platform. So I just give less shits now lol - they can be appreciative that I shared or not, but it's not my problem.

6. curiousdude

curiousdude Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Maybe a subforum called "best practices" - though if we're being clear-eyed about this, without some kind of vetting/moderation, it'll just become another free-for-all spot where it's tough to find anything useful. I mean, we still have oft-repeated recommendations floating around like "use 1fichier!" (probably the most garbage hoster out there) for instance lol.

I noticed that there appears to be some built in functionality that people never use: the poll (which can only be created at initial posting, not added upon editing I've just discovered). Maybe if we want to post a guide/how to/best practice, we could be required to add a poll for helpful/not helpful. And once it reached 10 helpful votes or something, it could be moved to a best practices section. I suppose it could be based on the already existing currency (likes), too, but people aren't really motivated to like something when it's not hidden, and people who aren't in the "no limit" category (probably the most in need of help) are motivated to conserve likes anyway.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2024
  7. DesertFox

DesertFox Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Yes, I agree with most if not all of what you said, especially the last two sentences. :) You upload material different than I do, but the problems are similar. I have no problem with hosting sites wanting to make money, nor do I have a problem with their size limitations just as long as they are upfront about it. Don't wait until I've download 95% of a file to advise me that I've exceeded a transfer quota I knew nothing about (MEGA). Another popular hosting site is WorkUpload. They allowed me to upload "part 1 of a multiple part file completely, before telling it it will expire in seven (7) days because it's a multiple part file. Why? Why not wait to make that decision until I have uploaded all three (3) parts in this case? What possible difference could it make to them, a file is a file, and I'm allowed as a registered free user to upload a maximum of 50 GB there? Don't know that I believe that, but that's what it says on their site. KrakenFiles is a site I like. As a registered free user I have a maximum storage available of 25 GB and each file (doesn't matter to them if it's multiple parts or not) can't be larger than 2 GB. But as you point out, some sites use the colloquial GB (i.e. 1,000 MB) and some use the correct measurement of GB (i.e. 1,024 MB). So, it's always best to size all files a bit under the maximum.

8. DesertFox

DesertFox Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Almost anything (vetting/moderation) can be accomplished if it were incentivized. I think the person providing a step by step solution to a problem should be able to determine if part of the instructions were to be hidden. Thus requiring a "Like" to view a graphical version for example.

I think there are those on the site (you would be one of them would be my guess) who simply enjoys sharing their knowledge, experience and solutions to common problems users face.

I'm with you regarding 1fichier as a recommended site and have said so. One of the absolute worst hosting sites out there!