How to "recover" likes?

Discussion in 'Help' started by curiousdude, 12 Jan 2024.

1. curiousdude

curiousdude Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Hey all,

I've repeatedly liked stuff throughout the forum only to find dead links. At first, I thought that I could unlike the comment to recover one of my likes for the day, but the post neither recognizes my unlike, nor do I reclaim a like (i.e. I run out of like prematurely vs. the number of downloads I'm able to make).

Is this behavior bugged or is this just the way the system works? If the latter, is there any way to recover likes? It would be great to be able to know if a link is dead before I unhide it (in threads where no one has commented that the link is dead).

Thanks!

Last edited: 12 Jan 2024
  2. lkngood

lkngood Global Elite

Lifetime Gold Trusted Gold Member No Limit
    EXCELLENT point. I've been asking admin to enable the unlike button since the inception of the forum, to no avail.
    There should be something in place for you to amend "lost" likes as you have indicated above.

Contact ADMIN-GEORGE, and make a plea. It is unfair for members to lose their likes on DEAD posts.
    And report the post.

mr.c and Cassidy like this.
  3. Catalin

Catalin Gold

No Limit
    I think is a good point, but also you can like, download and unlike a file.

4. mr.c

mr.c Master

Gold Member No Limit
    Ha, yes fair point as well.

5. tab2020

tab2020 Silver IV

No Limit
    i got what you say, but as @Catalin said, a lot of people could do that. The thing you can do is asking for MIRROR and wait... if the creator of the post does the MIRROR, would be better to change the original link, that way you dont lose your like.

6. lkngood

lkngood Global Elite

LOL...well, peeps are NOT that great about updating their shares., and some are so old the user is AWOL.
    Mirrors are an option, IF IF IF someone is willing to do that.

Still there needs to be a better way to recoup the initial like if the link is DEAD

7. curiousdude

curiousdude Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    @Catalin you can't - that's not the way the website behaves. Once I click the like, I can "unclick" it ad nauseam and it just perpetually stays liked. I imagine that's done to prevent people from abusing it, but it doesn't work as you describe. Maybe it used to?

8. curiousdude

curiousdude Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    @george it appears (based on the comments above) that this is intentional behavior? Is there any recourse for lost likes? Appreciate you taking a look!

9. curiousdude

curiousdude Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    @lkngood I'm trying to be more mindful of reporting posts for dead links (though I've also seen some marked dead that weren't in the trash so I wasn't sure that actually did anything). Though it still would be nice if a dead post returned likes to the user's pool once it's marked dead or a mirror is provided or something - though I imagine it would be a nightmare to track. I do see why you're saying that implementing the unlike is the simplest even though it seems primed for abuse.

On the subject of dead posts (couldn't find this addressed in the rules)... if a post was marked dead long ago, but never put in the trash, do I make a new post to provide that resource again or mirror on the old, dead post?

10. lkngood

lkngood Global Elite

I would mirror on the dead post. And advise admin by report button that you have provided a mirror and that the post should be LIVE

11. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    In the absence of a present solution - you can always ask (within the thread) for a validation of the link as being active or presently non-functional --- noting that you don't wanna burn one of your limited likes. Hopefully, someone would respond with a reply to affirm, posit the post to inquire the need for a new link (or mirror), or yield a non-response [then it's a crap shoot and you're simply at the beginning where ya started]. EDIT: Also it's a good idea to check the last time the file was downloaded . . .

Keep in mind that this is a temporary status until you've reached 1000 likes. It's best to focus your attention on establishing your personal bank of likes - this can be easily accomplished by providing mirrors. Much, if not the majority of material here, is leaked or originally obtained from other sites [primarily sourced magazine subs and similar] and then posted here.

But I agree - there should be a solution to this. Perhaps even a button to actually test a link without showing the direct link itself; better yet - have this process be built into the like button where it reveals the active link and you're charged (with your like) or it lists the link as non-functional and additionally reports same {and you're not charged a like}. I'm not sure this is possible though because of the separate sites involved: This central forum and subsequent miscellaneous hosting sites - beyond providing a visual link to a page - that's the best the two can communicate . . . :confused:

Last edited: 13 Jan 2024
    overlays likes this.
  12. gamlate

gamlate Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    I mean, I get it, it's really annoying to "waste" a like on a dead link, but let's get real here, we get 20 likes a day, that's 600 likes a month and I think that's plenty for most people. I figure implementing a new system for automatic report and return of likes would be no easy task.

13. curiousdude

curiousdude Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Thanks for the reply, @Nikon4life

Perhaps a simpler solution would be to make the reporting functionality a bit more robust which could have the added side effect of encouraging people to use it more so that posts don't languish. Instead of needing to place a text response in the reporting form, perhaps there are radio button options, too and if you select "dead link" or something, then the system would know to credit you back a like if you spent one.

But yeah, I hear ya regarding trying to get to 1,000 likes. I'm doing my best to contribute some valuable content that wasn't already provided - it can be a bit of a crapshoot lol - but adding mirrors is an interesting suggestion. I thought the rules forbid it unless the OP explicitly allowed it or the post was marked dead. It seems I misunderstood...

overlays likes this.
  14. curiousdude

curiousdude Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Fair point @gamlate; however, when you burn 18 of your 20 likes in one day and then get the dreaded "you're out of likes" message, it can get a bit frustrating. ;)

15. curiousdude

curiousdude Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Ultimately, I'm not super stressed about the loss of likes lol, I'll just bookmark and come back tomorrow - mainly I was wondering if there was a glitch on my end since no one else seemed to notice it. So it's comforting at least to know that it's just the way it works.

16. gamlate

gamlate Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Totally, it's frustrating for sure, but what I find most annoying is that the 24hrs cooldown starts after your 20th like :( I think if, for example, every day your like-limit would reset at the same time, say at 15:00, you could start to hunt down what you want at 14:20, spend your 20, and then you know that in less than half an hour you would have 20 likes again. But yeah, I too just bookmark stuff and try again another day.

17. george

george Administrator

Staff Member Gold Member No Limit
    Yes, this is intentional behavior to prevent abuse.

Nikon4life likes this.
  18. Jupiter

Jupiter Gold

Gold Member No Limit
    If you (and everyone) waste a like on a dead link, then reply "dead" so that everyone else can scan to the bottom of the thread to find out if it's dead or not before gambling away more of their likes. Just a suggestion.

Nikon4life and george like this.
  19. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    This also has the "benefit" of bumping the thread to the attention of the OP or some willing member to post a mirror . . . saying nothing yields nothing . . . ;)