Isn't it Pointless to Share Music Here?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tribe, 30 Mar 2019.

1. tribe

tribe Silver IV

I noticed a lot of people have shared different tracks and songs from places like audiojungIe, еpidemicsound, etc. Their work is greatly appreciated but wouldn't using them in your videos get them demonetized if you post them on Youtube, potentially get your videos deleted on Instagram and Facebook or cause you different issues if you use them in different projects?

If you use a sound effect, it obviously wouldn't get flagged, same with all the other effects, luts, presets, etc. However, aren't all of these songs and tracks in youtube's content ID algorithm? Is it worth risking them claiming your ad revenue in the future, taking your video down or muting the audio? Even if you buy a membership or the rights to the song at a later time, I don't think this would protect you as you didn't have the rights to use the music at the time of uploading the video.

I'd appreciate others chiming in and sharing their personal experiences and tips.

2. convectuoso

convectuoso Moderator

Staff Member Lifetime Gold Trusted Gold Member No Limit
    Doesn't merely having the track from those services suggest having a license to use it?

3. tribe

tribe Silver IV

I believe not especially with some of them. For example, I've had a subscription for "epidmc sond" and even with a subscription, the license officially allows to only use the tracks in your Youtube videos. If you want to use them on Instagram and Facebook, they "recommend" you to upload the same video or a shorter/slightly modified version of the youtube video.

I've never used the jungle fellas personally however their free license allows you to use the song but you here "audijungle" every few seconds which can actually be a good thing for comedic purposes. A great example is Adrian Bliss when he was doing his Youtuber parody series. If you buy their license, they remove their audio watermark. However, if you do a google search for "Youtube Content ID <insert the name of their website>", you'll see people discussing that once you upload your video, Youtube's Content ID system should be able to match the track. In order for them not to claim your monetization, you need to dispute the claim and put the license ID.

Let's assume you upload your video and they claim it right away or the content ID system matches it in a few months. Even if you buy the license, you didn't have it at the time of uploading the video so very likely they can still claim your ad revenue. I had a video get matched with some not very popular song I used quietly in the background a couple of years after it was uploaded. It even had millions of views already.

4. megan-photo

megan-photo Silver II

I've never had an issue. I've used legit licensed and some non licensed versions from Audio Jungle (+Envato Elements) and Motion Array. None of my content ever got flagged. Unless the artist you use a song from is represented by a major record label, you shouldn't have an issue. The YouTube music ID system was created by the Record Labels and Execs from that industry from what I've learned. Universal, Warner, BMG, Sony... Any artist tied to a major label will 100% get flagged, even if you work for said artist and its your own content, it'll still get flagged and then it's a process of approval and proof ownership after that with label lawyers and YouTube folks. That was just my experience anyway, can't say it'll be the same for all.

5. Snook

Snook Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Not my case, I had an Artlist account and downloaded many songs, I recently had Instagram Flag me for a song I used 4 years ago, music I paid for but forgot to download the license, They tried to take my video down but a sent an e-mail and they ended up leaving it up, but I thought it was strange, but it does happen even on regular songs from places like Artlist or whatever site. Sometimes the artist maybe become popular in the future and can also be a problem if you use musica from sites like these. I have often asked in these shared post like the above, But no one seems to answer. I would not risk using this music from shared sites like this, but that is just me.

6. dinobytes

dinobytes Gold

No Limit
    I have a library of music from Dano songs. At the time, there was no license to download and everything was free (for commercial as well). It has turned into a pay-for site and now includes licenses but everything prior to the switch was grandfathered. Personally I don't think having the actual license even matters because these platforms rarely bother to respond to the little guy anyhow.