Kairos: Phenomenology and Photography - Chan-fai Cheung

Discussion in 'Photo eBooks' started by Kount, 18 Jun 2020.

1. Kount

Kount Silver III

by Chan-fai Cheung

https://www.amazon.com/Kairos-Phenomenology-Photography-Chan-Fai-Cheung/dp/9881877717

Kairos, a Greek concept, means the right moment, the perfect time, the critical “now”. Photography is a play of time and light. The amount of time allowing light to get into the camera determines the quality of the photograph. If photography is considered as art, then the clicking of the shutter by the conscientious photographer for a particular phenomenon through his photographic seeing is what Cartier-Bresson called “the decisive moment”, i.e., kairos. Chan-fai Cheung presents the results of his applying phenomenology in photography in Kairos: Phenomenology and Photography, a collection of essays and over 200 creative photographic works—his products of kairos.

Praises on Kairos

"The poetry of these images captured me from my very first viewing—whether vibrant or serene, tactile or cerebral, innocent or devilishly self-reflexive, each image contributes to a poem in the making, an ‘epic’ of experience with a single subjectivity at its ‘center.’ But this is a metaphor for phenomenology: Chan-fai’s poem allows each of us to be that subject, to reflect upon the constitution of the world as it appears." (Steven Crowell)

“ ‘Photo' derives from Greek phos and photos, meaning ‘light.' Chan-fai is an enlightener. Nietzsche said: ‘Licht wird alles, was er fasst.—Everything he touches becomes light.' Colours become colourful. Figures become figurative. A snapshot becomes a kairos.” (Elmar Holenstein)

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

Aik, Sigaq, TitusGroan and 4 others like this.