Learning to see / understand natural light

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by santonio, 5 Jan 2021.

1. santonio

santonio New Member

Hey guys,

maybe someone can help me out with this.

Over the past two years since I practice photography I did the most research for retouching editing and all this stuff.

As more Tutorials I watch the more I notice how important the light is. - Quite obvious, I know.

The Point is, I really love the shoot natural light and if possible even without a reflector - just available elements that helps me getting a great look.

I think that I understand the principles pretty decent but I can’t help noticing that RAW images from very very good photographers already look incredible awesome straight out of cam.

What I mean is, the shadows and highlights already look pretty perfect and just need little enhancements instead of tons of global dodge and burn.

I do have a really hard time finding professional good courses that teaches natural light or available light in depth - most of the instructions are almost the same and pretty shallow.

Does anyone of you know a good instructor or course that teaches the principles of available light in depth with maybe some examples?

Of course you may could apply the studio lighting to some real world examples. But I find it is very hard in the beginning to see that before the eye is trained enough.

2. bloodymonkyahoo

bloodymonkyahoo Silver II

3. bloodymonkyahoo

bloodymonkyahoo Silver II

4. santonio

santonio New Member

A few of them I already knew, maybe I need to watch them again with more attention.
    Thank you for the links

5. Hovis Brown

Hovis Brown Gold Nova

No Limit
    hello,

instead of suggesting a tutorial that you could watch, may I throw in an exercise for you to do at home?

Take an area near the window and set up a tripod. Start in the morning. Get a pillow that has some texture on it and place it by the window. You can arrange it as you want. Frame your image and take three photos in RAW. One exposure for the shadow, one for the highlight, and one for the mid-tones.

Wait 30 minutes, and do it again. Then again after 30 minutes, etc. until the sun doesn't come through your window again.

If the time on your camera is set up correctly, then you should be able to see what exposure was needed at what time during the day.

Now it's a matter of seeing which image you prefer. Don't refer to an existing photographer, but rather use your own taste.

The thing with professional photographers is that there is an intuition that they possess that cannot really be taught in a tutorial. It's these mundane exercises that builds intuition. You will get to a point where you are able to set your aperture and shutter speed without even needing to meter -- but this will take practice (and making mistakes).

santonio likes this.
  6. santonio

santonio New Member

Thank you @Hovis Brown that sounds like a great idea and I will definitely give it a try.

maybe I didn’t explain properly. The thing is not to expose the photograph right - it is more to see Situtions like the Window light where the direction and modification already is naturally beautiful.

7. Hovis Brown

Hovis Brown Gold Nova

No Limit
    the exposure of the photo will lead to that. it's about deciding which one fits with your tastes better.

going back to the exercise, place objects of varying sheerness/colour in front of it. for some reason, one of the most beautiful lights i've seen was sunlight going through a Quality Street sweet wrapper that was left on the table.

sometimes these beautiful moments can't be planned.

santonio likes this.