Gold Lindsay Adler - Learn+ Episode 12: Dancers - April 2022

Discussion in 'Photo Tutorials' started by stargazer89, 19 Mar 2023.

1. stargazer89

stargazer89 Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    upload_2023-3-19_16-27-38.png

Link: https://learn.lindsayadlerphotography.com/plus/2022/04/episode-12-dancers/

Download:
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by Gold Members(click for instructions) after they click 'Like'.**
    What is one surefire way to bring your images to life? Movement! What subjects are incredible at creating artful shapes with their bodies? Dancers!

Now I don’t proclaim to be a dancer photographer by any means… but I do feel that I can capture movement successfully and make a photo interesting enough no matter the subject. There are of course dancer photographers that are professionals who are intimately aware of the industry and some themselves are former dancers. I think this definitely helps in speaking the “language” that dancers have so you can develop a better rapport and ultimately achieve your desired final image.

With that being said, there are times you can rely on the talent of the dancers themselves, to just create beautiful images.

So for this shoot I did just that and enlisted two very talented dancers to create some striking images!

It’s our job to capture the pivotal moment with everything comes together — the dancer’s ideal form, perhaps the movement of fabric, lighting and more.

Photographing professional dancers sometimes feels like cheating… they do all the hard work while I’ll just click the button. Of course, I am oversimplifying our role. As photographers we must work closely with a dancer to not only communicate our vision, but also help translate their shapes to the camera. A body position may be beautiful, but can you capture the height of the jump or the clean lines in a way that reads elegantly from the camera’s perspective? Plus, you must juggle the technical aspects of freezing motion!

In my opinion, a majority of dance photographers don’t really push their craft — so many of the images really look the same. I invite you to experiment, use your own creative vision and collaborate with dancers to create truly awe-inspiring imagery that celebrates the art of photography and the art of dance!

voviklenin, cigo30, zolba and 81 others like this.
  2. mariana

mariana Gold

No Limit
    Nice, do you have more episodes after the 12?

3. diosdado

diosdado Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    is this video tutorials?

yanne_01 likes this.
  4. stargazer89

stargazer89 Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    I posted the 14th as well! I have more to post besides that, but someone else just added a lot of the episodes marked as 'Soon' so I don't know if I'm allowed to post them anymore. They should hopefully be uploaded soon :)

Last edited: 20 Mar 2023
  5. stargazer89

stargazer89 Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Yes, that's a video tutorial :)

6. diosdado

diosdado Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    thanks

yanne_01 likes this.
  7. theletmeinproject

theletmeinproject New Member