Gold Marc Adamus - Artistic Philosophy

Discussion in 'Photo Tutorials' started by h1ghm1nd, 7 May 2020.

1. h1ghm1nd

h1ghm1nd p-v.club fan

Staff Member Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Description:
    5fITUhG.jpg

Artistic Philosophy

If there is one post processing video you watch in your life, this should be it. In this presentation I go beyond any particular techniques and strait to the core of what makes all images successful. This video talks about the differences between how our eye sees the world and our camera, and informs the listener about how to make deep, compelling, three dimensional images from any subjects, vast or small. It matters not whether you are a beginner or expert, hearing this will have a profound impact on how you view the art of creation within a medium like photography. So many videos out there teach the how-to, but in the end, the how doesn't matter nearly as much as the 'why'.

$99.00

Link:
    https://www.marcadamus.com/product/videos/

Download:
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by Gold Members(click for instructions) after they click 'Like'.**

Last edited: 12 Feb 2023
  2. TheBeardedMonk

TheBeardedMonk Gold Nova

No Limit
    Thanks a lot

3. Danny Thomson

Danny Thomson Silver III

Great upload thank you

4. cotyora

cotyora Gold

No Limit
    Great!

5. Mystic Wolf

Mystic Wolf Master

Trusted No Limit
    thanks for the upload

6. johndoe

johndoe New Member

Wow, thanks a lot

7. iam

iam New Member

thanks

8. w@rs@w

w@rs@w Gold Nova

No Limit
    Thanks mate

9. Lion

Lion Gold Nova

No Limit
    Thanks

10. anasopia

anasopia New Member

Cant thank you enough for this one!

11. mrgas

mrgas New Member

THANK YOU :cool:

12. ariel

ariel Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Someone watched the Course and can explain the 45° Rule to me? I don`t understand what he means, because sometimes he doesn`t express himself right :/

13. takitm

takitm New Member

Here my explanation, HTH.
    If you use a wide angle lens, you can create a pull-in effect, if you put elements to the most distorted parts (close to the frame edges). F.e. a vertical line will be distorted by the lens, pointing towards the center of the frame, directing the viewer's eye into the scene.
    The same distortion works for you to fill the foreground, if you choose your shooting position carefully. If you set your lens in a way that is looks 45° to the foreground subject, it's going to be larger, filling the space. F.e. if you have a 7 cm tall flower, you should set your camera so that it's 7 cm from the ground and the front lens is 7 cm far from the flower (see figure below: the left vertical is the flower, the 45° corner on the right is your camera's front lens). If you however choose a tighter angle like 10-20°, the flowers won't appear "blown up", don't stand out, so you loose foreground interest.
    triangle12.png

Some examples from his gallery:
    https://www.marcadamus.com/images/xl/Mystic-Park-2015.jpg
    https://www.marcadamus.com/images/xl/Before-Us-Minus-Final-i.jpg

huynhfoto likes this.
  14. ariel

ariel Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Thank you for your effort, really appreciate your help :)
    I tryed this myself some weeks ago and watched the video again.

The Distance (in your example 7cm) is not correct when you go from the Ground? It should be more like: 7cm Flower High? = Get your Lens 7cm high from the Top of your Flower. Logically if your flower is 7cm high and you go from the Ground 7cm high, it will be on eye-level with the flower :) In some part of the Video he also says "Stream xy cm wide? = Get your camera xy high + far away to get the angle.

In the first example from his Website, the Angle really don`t look like a 45° angle. When i understood it right - like he mentioned in the Video 20° and 65° - The Angle of your Lens from the 45° Position should be pointed 20-25° down to get the 65° Angle.

Hope you understand my text and i will mention that i`m yet not sure if it`s right. In the Field i tried the 45° and the 65° angle with my 12mm FF Lens and it looks much more appealing and logical when i pointed the Lens just for 20° down to my foreground.

15. takitm

takitm New Member

Yeah, of course 45° you can measure from the bottom of the flower, or from the top - or actually we could also figure if the bottom or the center of the lens is the point one should align (in case if a 77mm diameter lens this would be a 50% error for our 7cm flower :)) .

But I think not the precisely 45° is what actually matters - it's just an aid to explain the concept. That is if you shoot wide, by choosing a viewangle (camera position) matched to your foreground element's size you can create a prominent foreground even from the tiniest rock, creek, flower which helps to pull your viewer into the scene.
    [in the video he shows 45° to the top of the mentioned wildflower, then he tilts down his arm by +20ˇ - this in the field, if you have the flower at to bottom edge of the frame, means a kind of "blow-up" of the flower, thanks to the wide-angle's distortion.]

F.e. the linked example [Before Us Minus] shows this size-exaggeration on the bottom-right corner (to get that he must have been quite low and close to the flower). So he achieves the transition already in the foreground: your eye follows the purple color and you get the feeling because the flowers' size appear to change a lot as your view wanders.

I do enjoy having a conversation on this subject, hope I could explain how I got his concept.

p.s.: if you pm me, I can sum up also in German, I have a hunch that it would help in the comm :)

ariel likes this.
  16. Mystic Wolf

Mystic Wolf Master

Trusted No Limit
    Sorry Guys.. I got little confused with the " 7cm flower".
    is the below illustration on the Lens Orientation correct? @takitm @ariel
    Sample-copy.jpg [/USER]

Last edited by a moderator: 24 May 2021
  17. takitm

takitm New Member

... I don't get your idea from the pic, sorry, my bad :)
    But here's what's meant in my opinion (see figure). So you should try to shoot somewhere in between those camera positions.

All in all it's easy: if you go for wide-angle and have a tiny element to work with and you want to turn it into a nice foreground, get on your knees, get close and the distortion helps you. This is exactly what's happening in the scene you attached (notice the skewed flowerheads in the bottom-right corner)
    flower.png .

ariel and Mystic Wolf like this.
  18. Mystic Wolf

Mystic Wolf Master

Trusted No Limit
    Thank You.. Got your point :)

19. ariel

ariel Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Thanks buddy, i spent you a Gold Membership for your help :)

20. jamesmartin

jamesmartin New Member

any chance of getting this loaded again please?