Monitor Calibration

Discussion in 'Help' started by ajsolutions777, 14 Jun 2022.

1. ajsolutions777

ajsolutions777 New Member

Hello,
    I use a Benq monitor (PD2700U) and don't have the money right now to buy a Display calibration tool for color calibration. Currently, I'm using the ICC profile they've provided on their website. When I see my edited photos on my iPhone, I see exposure changes. (also tried on different mobile screens). The shadows gets crushed and the image looks darker. As most of my work is displayed on instagram, I'm more concerned about how it looks on mobile device. I've played with the gamma on my monitor but nothing seems to work. I don't have any problems with color shifts its just the exposure. Could someone please point me on this?

2. Patto01

Patto01 Silver IV

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-online-tools-calibrate-monitor/
    Remember, though, correct color and brightness depends as much on the viewing device as the editing device. Beyond a general range, this sort of thing is more for printing than viewing digitally. Worrying about how someone else will see your images on their device, or even your own mobile device, is a fool's errand.

ajsolutions777 and Lugee like this.
  3. ajsolutions777

ajsolutions777 New Member

Thank you so much man!

4. Scragness

Scragness New Member

Hey @ajsolutions777, I would say, if most of your viewing and posting is done on mobile devices, then why not EDIT them on your mobile device. In my experience, mobile does some things much better than a desktop device, such as Color Management. I do a lot of image editing on my Android phone, and get great results. I use Snapseed, but just today discovered that Photoshop and Lightroom are available as well.

You don't mention how you are capturing your pics, a Mirrorless or DSLR? If so then transfer them to your device first and edit them there, that way you will see how the shadows and everything looks, no surprises!

I take a lot of images on my oldish Android phone, but ALWAYS run the good ones through Snapseed before I do anything with them. It has layers like Photoshop, if I want to enhance one area of the image, I make the adjustment on the whole image, then you can open the brush tool and brush over the area you want to apply the enhancement too. Works very well and I can get intricate enhancements.

I should add I also have a mirrorless camera, shoot in raw, have a color managed monitor with a color calibrator and an old version of Photoshop, and working on Android is refreshingly easy!

Thanks for the link @Patto01, useful stuff :eek:

Last edited: 17 Apr 2023