Need help to re-energise my photography.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by puppetwarp, 14 Oct 2023.

1. puppetwarp

puppetwarp Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Hi Guys,

I am in a bit of a slump at present and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get out of it.
    I don't want to do anything studio based...I just want to go out for a walk in the city in the early morning or at sunset but when I do I am lost...I am missing any kind of direction and I don't shoot anything.
    I am really hoping that someone can help me by coming up with some photography projects/ ideas that might stimulate and inspire me to take some photographs.
    Hoping you guys can help.
    love
    Puppetwarp.

janabart likes this.
  2. janabart

janabart Gold Nova

No Limit
    I asked chatgpt for some ideas, they're good! In my experience, going out with some photographer friends or doing personal projects helped me, my project was the 365 day challenge, which I failed miserably but gave me some very good moments. Here is the list, greetings!

1. **Street Stories:** Spend a day capturing city life, focusing on the people, buildings and everyday scenes you encounter along your way. Try to tell a story through your photos.

2. **Urban Minimalism:** Focus on the simplicity and geometry of urban architecture. Look for patterns, clean lines, and solid colors in buildings and streets.

3. **Playing with Light:** Observe how the light of dawn or dusk illuminates the city differently. Experiment with shadows, reflections and light effects in your photography.

4. **Portraits of Strangers:** Approach interesting people you meet on your walk and ask their permission to take their portrait. This can lead to inspiring conversations and emotional portraits.

5. **Unusual Perspectives:** Try photographing from unconventional angles, such as from the ground or from above. This can give new life to common places.

6. **The City in Motion:** Capture the energy and speed of the city by photographing cars, bicycles and people in motion. Use a long exposure technique to create interesting effects.

7. **Urban Contrasts:** Look for contrasts in the city, such as old versus modern, clean versus chaotic, or nature versus urbanization.

8. **Change of Seasons:** Watch how the city changes as the year progresses. You can create a series of photos that document the seasons and their impact on the urban environment.

9. **Thematic Exploration:** Decide on a specific theme that interests you, such as "doors," "windows," or "reflections," and search for that item throughout the city.

10. **City Colors:** Focus on capturing a series of photos that highlight a particular color. Look for that color throughout the city and create a cohesive series.

Remember that the most important thing is to have fun and experiment. Don't worry too much about getting perfect photos on every outing.

jbgood47 and puppetwarp like this.
  3. puppetwarp

puppetwarp Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Thank you so much for this..there are definitely a few things on that list that I see a great deal of merit in....I will certainly be giving them a try.

janabart likes this.
  4. aileron747

aileron747 Silver IV

No Limit
    My advice is to go with photography friends. And find a local community for photographers, participate in photowalks, etc... That will give you a momentum boost to start photographing again:)

puppetwarp likes this.