[PDF] David Busch's Quick Snap Guide to Using Digital SLR Lenses

Discussion in 'Photo eBooks' started by anonzzz, 22 Aug 2018.

1. anonzzz

anonzzz Moderator

Staff Member Lifetime Gold Trusted Gold Member No Limit
    [PDF] David Busch's Quick Snap Guide to Using Digital SLR Lenses

ZgY15Hd.jpg

Biography
    With more than 2 million books in print, David D. Busch is the world's #1 selling author of camera-specific guidebooks, and the originator of popular series like David Busch's Pro Secrets, David Busch's Compact Field Guides, David Busch's Guides to Digital SLR Photography, and David Busch's Quick Snap Guides.

Most of his hugely successful books for Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, and Panasonic digital cameras are the top-selling guidebooks for their respective camera models. His advice has been featured on NPR's "All Tech Considered."

Busch's dozens of other books devoted to digital photography include David Busch's Digital Infrared Pro Secrets and Mastering Digital SLR Photography. As a roving photojournalist for more than 20 years, he has illustrated his books, magazine articles, and newspaper reports with award-winning images. Busch has operated his own commercial studio, suffocated in formal dress while shooting weddings-for-hire, and shot sports for a daily newspaper and upstate New York college. His photographs and articles have been published in magazines as diverse as PhotoGraphic, Popular Photography & Imaging, The Rangefinder, The Professional Photographer, and hundreds of other publications. He's also reviewed digital cameras for CNet Networks and Computer Shopper.

As a writer, photographer, and contributing editor for ten magazines, he has more than 130 books and 2500 articles to his credit. A PR consultant for Eastman Kodak Company's photography divisions for nearly 20 years, Busch has published photography articles under his by-line in Popular Photography & Imaging, PhotoGraphic, The Rangefinder, The Professional Photographer and other photo magazines. His photos have appeared on the covers of magazines, and in both print and television advertising.

The graduate of Kent State University operated his own photo studio and was a principal in CCS/PR, Inc., one of the largest public relations firms based in San Diego, working on press conferences, press kits, media tours, and sponsored photo trade magazine articles. In addition to Kodak, CCS photography clients included Hewlett-Packard. He sold his interest in CCS in 1992 to become a full-time author, photographer, and reporter.

Since then, Busch has become one of the leading photojournalist/authors in the United States. He has had as many as five books appear simultaneously in the Amazon.com Top 25 Digital Photography Books, and when Michael Carr of About.com named the top five digital photography books for beginners, the #1 and #2 choices were his Digital Photography All-in-One Desk Reference for Dummies and Mastering Digital Photography. Several of his digital imaging books have sold in excess of 50,000 copies.

Busch was a featured guest speaking on digital photography on Toronto's Breakfast Television show in 2005, was the keynote speaker at the Dayton Computerfest, and has been a call-in guest for 22 different radio shows nationally and in major markets, including WTOP-AM (Washington), KYW-AM (Philadelphia), USA Network (Daybreak USA), WPHM-AM (Detroit), KMJE-FM (Sacramento), CJAD-AM (Montreal), WBIX-AM (Boston), ABC Radio Network (Jonathan & Mary Show).

His work has been translated into Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, Bulgarian, German, Italian, French, and other languages. his web site is http://www.dbusch.com.

REVIEWS

This is my first "Quick Snap Guide" and I have found it extremely well-organized and informative. It goes into just enough depth, not technical, but thorough and well-explained both in the text and in the many well-captioned photographs and illustrations. Not only does it describe each type of lens (its function, design, strength, and limitations) but it goes into detail about how the size and type of lens is a factor--but only one factor--for the qualities you might want in your photographs. So, for example, depending on the depth of field you want, you choose a certain type and size of lens, and then a certain aperture and shutter speed combination. The relationship between your choice of f stop, your ISO, your shutter speed, and available light are all as important as your choice of lens. So, with relatively few lenses you can cover just about any effect and any type of photograph.

It should be noted that this book is aimed at owners on non-pro digital slr's (in other words, owners of cameras which don't have a full 35mm sensor) since, in his recommendations and guidelines for the lenses are already based on a multiplier of 1.5 or 1.6. This takes some adapting for those of us used to taking a lens labeled 50mm and automatically thinking of it as a 75mm lens, or that if we want 50mm we have to buy a lens marked 35mm. There is no need to do that, it is already factored in, which threw me at first.

Lenses are also explained: their construction; all the little markings, scales, buttons, and controls usually found on lenses; filter types, uses, and threads; tripods; zoom and prime types and the benefits of each; optional controls such as vibration reduction; optional attachments for lenses such as adapters, close-up attachments, extension tubes, and bellows--regardless of manufacturer, if it has anything to do with lenses, it's here.

Photography pointers are also given, both general in nature and specifically related to lenses. You will want to know general tips on how to get good bokeh (and what lens qualities contribute to it); how to avoid lens flare (which lenses are most likely to have it); what general camera settings are the most likely combinations when you want a specific feel; types of focusing; types of optical aberrations (chromatic, vignetting, barrel & pincushion distortions and what you can do about them); the difference between DX and FX lenses and crop factors (multipliers) of non-pro digital cameras.

Really, almost everything is here. I say "almost" because there are a couple of things I would have found useful that weren't here. Speaking generally, I would have welcomed side-by-side comparison pictures in which the same scene was photographed with different lenses to give an even better feel of the strengths and limitations of different focal lengths. Yes, each focal length is illustrated in its own section, but not directly compared to other options. Speaking specifically for my needs, I would have welcomed a bit of information on which lenses would be best for photographing geometric subjects with strong edges (such as architecture, and two-dimensional artwork such as a painting), both of which are difficult to get "square". Portraits, sports, landscapes, closeups, candids, etc., are all well-covered, but no mention of architectural photography. From my own experience, I find a zoom lens with a focal length between 28mm and maybe 45mm (figuring full-frame) to give the best result, but I would have loved to have some professional guidance on the subject because my observations are hit-and-miss.

On the whole, however, the book is outstanding. It is clear and pleasant reading as well as a well-indexed reference source. Not only is this book a definite keeper, I plan to get other David Busch books as well based on this experience, starting with his "Quick Snap Guide to Photo Gear".
    ---
    As with the other Quick Snap Guides The Explanation's of how and why something works or doesn't work is Outstanding easily understood and to the point.
    Topics are shown with an outline, Highlights, Photos and written description.
    Easy to follow easy to understand and as with David's other Books there is Something for Everyone if You ever wanted to really know Why and How rather than just how to do something this is for You.
    I give this 5 stars the reason Most books tell how and that's nice But this teaches why and how. Give a Man a fish He eats today Teach a Man to Fish he can eat forever. a Pie is Nice Teach me Why and How to Bake I eat hot for a lifetime This is what its about
    ---
    After checking reviews, reading tables of contents on Amazon's "look inside" feature, checking out library books, perusing used bookstores, and wasting some money on other books, this is the one that has what I was looking for--specifically, information that will help me choose what lenses I may want to purchase to add to what I already own. Helpful info about constant aperture/macro/wide angle lenses as well as extension tubes, filters, and reversing rings.

DOWNLOAD
    [Dead Link Removed by Mod]

Last edited by a moderator: 7 May 2021
    gjarnling, slajy, xtremecoder and 3 others like this.
  2. Thunder

Thunder Legendary

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    The following is a working Mega link for;

David Busch's Quick Snap Guide to Using Digital SLR Lenses

Please like OP first...

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

umatpati and lkngood like this.