[PDF] Focus On Composing Photos: Focus on the Fundamentals - Peter Ensenberger

Discussion in 'Photo eBooks' started by anonzzz, 12 Aug 2018.

1. anonzzz

anonzzz Moderator

Staff Member Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    ow5bEhR.jpg

As digital cameras and software packages become more advanced, seemingly by the minute, it has become easier than ever to overlook the basic elements which have always resulted in the best photographs, no matter how fancy (or primitive) the camera itself. Composition is the single most important aspect of creating great images, no matter what level of photographer you happen to be. No amount of digital wizardry can turn a badly composed image into a picture you would want to display. While many books on composition tend to over-complicate the subject, this book breaks down everything you need to know into small, digestible chunks of information that you will actually remember once you're out and about taking pictures. Instead of plodding through long and complex pages of text, this book supplements the necessary information, such as the basics of the rule of thirds and how to get good highlights and shadows, with tons of gorgeous, full color images that actually show you what to do and how to do it, rather than just telling you what to try. You'll be amazed at the gorgeous images you'll create, whether your passion is for photographing your family, pets, travel adventures, nature, or anything else.

Amazon Exclusive: A Letter from Peter Ensenberger, Author of Focus On Composing Photos: "Five Quick Hits: What I've Learned About Photography Composition"

The Importance of Light Awareness

In my workshops, I preach the importance of light awareness. It’s something all photographers must learn before they begin to see improvement in their images. The importance of working in the best possible light is what costs photographers so much sleep. It’s a driving force. We get up early and stay out late in pursuit of the light.

Light is an integral part of composition. Highlights and shadows become important compositional elements when artfully incorporated. The interplay of light and subject is the definition of photography. A poorly lit subject can ruin even the best composition.

Using Visual Devices to Control Eye Movement

The elements of composition are all around us--lines, shadows, colors, patterns, textures and space. They coalesce in apparent disarray. It’s up to the photographer to make sense of it all by arranging these elements as artfully as possible so that the resulting photograph tells a story or informs the viewer.

From an artistic standpoint, the objective of good composition is to provide balance and lead the viewer’s eye. Placement of compositional elements should create energy and motion. Visual devices help keep the viewer’s eye on the intended path and encourage exploration of the entire photograph. At the end of the path, eyes come to rest on the subject--the composition’s visual payoff.

Connecting with the Viewer

For me, a successful photograph makes a connection on an emotional level. Maybe the subject resonates with me, or it reminds me of some past experience I’ve had. Maybe it takes me to a place I’ve never been. But that emotional connection holds me there, exploring every inch of the photograph, prolonging a pleasurable experience.

The great photographs that we recognize as masterpieces of the medium are the ones that touch us on a gut level. They make a statement or raise a question. They involve us in their narratives, held not only in the grasp of skillful composition, but also in the emotions that the photographer was feeling.

On Simplicity

The most difficult part of the composing process is creating a simple, stand-alone image that conveys a clear message. That message must be concise and easily understood; because chances are good the photographer won’t be there to help the viewer figure it out. A successful photograph needs no explanation.

Less Is More

Sometimes viewers’ interest is piqued when a composition encourages them to resolve at least part of the story. It gives observers the satisfaction of solving the mystery or providing their own punch line. Withholding pieces of information makes a photograph more interesting, allowing the viewers’ imaginations to fill in the blanks or solve a conundrum. When a photograph allows the viewers to be a part of the story, it nudges them into a deeper mental involvement with the image.

My philosophy of composition is summed up best in the words of photographer Joel Meyerowitz. He said, "You fill up the frame with feelings, energy, discovery and risk, and leave room enough for someone else to get in there."

REFERENCE:
    https://www.amazon.com/Focus-Composing-Photos-Fundamentals/dp/024081505X

Download:
    https://p-v.club/threads/pdf-focus-...damentals-peter-ensenberger.3672/#post-114738

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Dec 2020
  2. 203delta

203delta New Member

thank you

3. h1ghm1nd

h1ghm1nd p-v.club founder

Staff Member Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Mirrors please.

4. mwla

mwla Legendary

No Limit
    Mega link. Please like OP's post.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

Last edited: 16 Mar 2021
  5. onebrightspark

onebrightspark Silver I

Gold Member
    Dead Link :-(

6. jbgood47

jbgood47 Legendary

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    New mirror: Focus On Composing Photos.epub (37.97 MB)
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

Last edited: 30 Apr 2023
    IronMarco, Coraline, brandt and 30 others like this.
  7. onebrightspark

onebrightspark Silver I

Gold Member
    Thank you so much :)

8. Olya

Olya New Member

Could you reupload, please?

9. jbgood47

jbgood47 Legendary

The link in post #6 has now been updated.

10. umatpati

umatpati Master

Gold Member No Limit
    Thank you

11. Olya

Olya New Member

thank you!

12. Coraline

Coraline Legendary

Mirror:

PDF / EPUB

Hidden Content:

Robert, IronMarco, diosdado and 4 others like this.