[PDF] Speedliter's Handbook ~ Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites - Syl Arena

Discussion in 'Photo eBooks' started by anonzzz, 16 Aug 2018.

1. anonzzz

anonzzz Moderator

Staff Member Lifetime Gold Trusted Gold Member No Limit
    [PDF] Speedliter's Handbook ~ Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites - Syl Arena

GuK7oyI.jpg

Getting your Canon Speedlite to produce the light you need can be a real challenge. For those new to flash photography—or for anyone who has previously given up out of frustration—Speedliter’s Handbook is a revelation. Photographer Syl Arena takes you on a journey that begins with an exploration of light and color, moves through a comprehensive discussion of the Canon Speedlite family and all of the accessories and equipment available to the Speedliter, then settles down to crafting great light in one photo shoot after another. Whether you want to create a classical portrait, shoot an event, or simply add a little fill light to a product shot, Speedliter’s Handbook shows you how.

A fantastic in-depth resource illustrated with over 500 images, Speedliter’s Handbook covers:
    • how to see the various characteristics and properties of light itself, as well as the differences between how your camera sees versus how you see
    • all the buttons and dials of the entire Canon Speedlite family
    • the basics of on-camera flash…and the necessity of getting your flash off the camera
    • how to beautifully balance flash with the existing ambient light
    • all the equipment necessary for great Speedlite shots
    • how to get amazing shots with just one Speedlite
    • how and when to use E-TTL versus manual flash
    • the use of color gels to balance color, as well as create dramatic effects
    • how to tame the sun—or any really bright light—with hi-speed sync
    • and much, much more
    Whether you’re shooting portraits, events, or sports, Speedliter’s Handbook is an essential resource that teaches you how to craft the light you need for any type of shot you want.

About the Author

Syl Arena studied commercial photography at Brooks Institute and fine art photography at the University of Arizona. Over the years, Syl has shot for newspapers, magazines, and catalogs. He has been recognized for his expertise on color-critical workflow and his ability to turn noon to night by firing off a dozen Speedlites simultaneously. Syl covers the world of photography on his blogs, PixSylated.com and Speedliting.com, and he serves as the Director of the Paso Robles Workshops.

REVIEWS

I was fortunate to participate in a 2 day workshop with Syl in the lead up to this book, and now I have the book in my grubby little hands, I can heartily recommend it for anyone who is trying to get something more from their speedlites than Canon seems to think they are capable of.

If you've just bought your first speedlite, then this book will walk you through everything you need to know to get it off the camera *and* keep the wonderful ETTL functionality that so many people misunderstand or seem to dismiss as gimmicky.

If, like me, you've got a couple of speedlites and had already got them off the camera, then there is *still* material in here that will help you up your game and expand what you are able to make these wonderful little lighting gadgets do. My biggest revelation in off camera ETTL speedliting? Buy a long ETTL cable :) Syl turned me onto what can be achieved if I get my master speedlite off the camera, on a cable so I can trigger my slave anywhere, including behind my model. So simple, yet I never thought of it.

There are tons of full color photos in the book that cover every topic covered in writing, making it perfect for us visual learners.

Did I mention, it's Canon specific? So little has been written for us ... all those "brand independent" books I've read and purchased in the past still assume only Nikon is able to handle off camera flash work, never really giving Canon their due. Finally, something I can simply follow along with the buttons on my own system and understand the same terminology.

Simply - *the* book to buy if you want to get better at what we do in the Canon world.
    ---
    I'm a total amateur with the flash and even thought I had an external speedlight my pictures with it were always rather "meh". The only trick I knew was to point it up to bounce off the ceiling. This book is awesome for learning how to actually use the thing!! There is also a great section on how to use the camera in general (and Canon cameras in particular) that are really good refreshers on the importance of all the camera's settings.

The book is written in a particularly easy to read and pleasant style that is neither too chatty nor too dry. All the author's friends and family who (patiently) had their pictures taken for the illustrations are referred to by name, which is a nice humanizing touch compared to photography books that just refer to "the subject" or "the model".

Here is my "best shot" with flash three weeks after starting the book and trying to replicate as many of the examples as I could for practice. It was taken with a single 430EX II and my rickety old XTi (400D). A month ago this would have looked awful and harshly lit and I probably would just delete it. Now if only I could get my model to sit still for a hair combing!

REFERENCE:
    https://www.amazon.com/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/032171105X

Download:
    https://p-v.club/threads/pdf-speedl...-canon-speedlites-syl-arena.3756/#post-112587

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Dec 2020
    Coraline, JohnDo, rawqz and 17 others like this.
  2. h1ghm1nd

h1ghm1nd p-v.club fan

Staff Member Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Looking for mirrors.

3. Thunder

Thunder Legendary

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Another working link for

Speedliter's Handbook ~ Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites - Syl Arena

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**
    @h1ghm1nd

Coraline, s3r610, getares17 and 10 others like this.
  4. Coraline

Coraline Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Mirror:

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**