Photography and Science (Exposures) [PDF]

Discussion in 'Other Related Downloads' started by Nikon4life, 8 May 2020.

1. Nikon4life

Nikon4life VIP

Lifetime Gold Trusted Gold Member No Limit
    Photography and Science (Exposures)
    by Kelley Wilder (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/Photography-...Photography+and+Science&qid=1588977722&sr=8-1

upload_2020-5-8_18-43-26.png

How do we know what an amoeba looks like? How can doctors see the details of our skeletons and internal organs? What enables us to see an exploding star in another galaxy? All of these things are made possible through the innovations of photography. Kelley Wilder now provides a primer on the remarkably fruitful applications of photography to science, as she explores the multiple facets of this complex relationship.

Kelley Wilder draws upon her extensive background in alternative process photography, museum practice, art history, and history of science to produce a wide-ranging and illuminating investigation into the intersection of photography and science. Photography and Science describes how photography first established its legitimacy through its close association with key scientific ideas and practices, such as objectivity, observation, archiving, and experimentation. Wilder then charts how photography returned the favor by serving as a powerful influence in various scientific disciplines, such as biology and astronomy. The book digs into the controversial debates over photography’s “success” in the sciences, its use in practical fields such as medical imaging and x-raying, and the complicated relationship between scientific theory and art practice.

Augmenting this fascinating study are eighty photographs of scientific subjects and experiments, many of which are published here for the first time. A thought-provoking, broad-based examination, Photography and Science will be an essential addition to the bookshelves of scientists, photographers, and art historians alike.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

FIDELI0, dude, Daukness and 1 other person like this.
  2. LuisAngel

LuisAngel Pro

L. Pierce
    5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and interesting reading
    Reviewed in the United States on May 2, 2015
    Verified Purchase

Not what I was expecting, but excellent nonetheless...

Considering the cover photo and title, I thought this would be about scientific photography in modern times, but it is actually the history of how photography and science grew together, and their interactions with each other. ............

As an example of the storytelling, ...........

I found the writing engaging and the book ended leaving me ready for more. In, fact, my only disappointment is that there is relatively little said about recent photography and science-related imaging work, post 2000, although the book is copyright 2009.

I would highly recommend this book to photographers, historians, and scientists.

Thankfull to Nikon4life for uploadin the file..... cheers

Nikon4life likes this.