Photography Blur

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by djlangleyy, 7 Feb 2021.

1. djlangleyy

djlangleyy New Member

Hi guys,

hoping somebody could offer some advice or assistance. i was taking some test shots as ive recently been taking some photo shots and wanted to improve my skills and I keep finding there to be a blur/image shake o. some of the contrasting images (attached) specifically noticeable around the headboard and the grey jumper on the bed where it looks like the image has a off set overlay.

does anybody know how to avoid this? Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 11.10.04 am.jpg

Attached Files:

2. tribal

tribal Legendary

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    We would need your camera setting, but my guess is bad lightning conditions, low ISO, stopped down aperture and as consequence slow shutter speed. But as I said, we need your camera settings first.

djlangleyy likes this.
  3. Lion

Lion Gold Nova

No Limit
    Use a tripod

4. djlangleyy

djlangleyy New Member

thanks guys, ive added the meta data now for you to see my cameras settings.

@Lion this was taken with a tripod so that isn't the issue.

Attached Files:

5. heyjue

heyjue New Member

the speed is very long (3.2sec), that maybe why you've got blur. Even if it's on a tripod, sometime just clicking on the camera may cause shake and so blur at low speed

6. heyjue

heyjue New Member

Try setting like speed 1/125 with higher iso and wider aperture (f/5,6 for example)

Nikon4life likes this.
  7. tribal

tribal Legendary

If this is a handheld photo, taking into consideration the 3s shutter speed, you can consider yourself a pro already :)

Flash might also be useful.

Nikon4life likes this.
  8. Hovis Brown

Hovis Brown Gold Nova

No Limit
    at f/22 you might also run into diffraction. past f/11 the kit lens you've got, the image will appear softer. also, with a tripod, set you camera to a self timer as hayjue said, you might cause camera shake by pushing the shutter button.

Nikon4life likes this.
  9. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Master

Gold Member No Limit
    3.2, why you use 3.2 anyway

10. djlangleyy

djlangleyy New Member

thanks guys, I tried your suggestions and they really helped! I think the biggest thing was using a tripod which really helped and adjusting the shutter speed! cheers folks!

11. tinomills

tinomills New Member

What you are seeing is called chromatic aberration. Id actually recommend to never use flash at all. My rule of thumb is I would never shoot under 1/50 sec if I'm shooting wide open at f 1.8. As you get better glass you'll be able to get more bokeh. I absolutely dont go past f11 because you're basically starving your camera of light. Unless im doing astrophotography in which case long exposures are essential. My iso also will never go above 1600. Any image with an iso higher than that in my opinion is considered unusable. Only in rare cases will I push the limit. Tripods are not really ideal for me, so I trained myself to run and gun. These tips are especially useful when you wanna shoot dark areas like a concert or a poorly lit venue.

Nikon4life likes this.
  12. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

;)

13. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Yeah - I think basically your settings are just not ideal for a Summertime shot at roughly 12 noon with the window light providing more than enough ambient to nail the image.

Up the speed (make it faster)
    Drop the ISO (make it cleaner)
    Open the Aperture (Counter-inituitively, to allow MORE light in- but because you'll be getting a faster exposure - the issue of camera shake gets nulled)

As you state - the effort is to improve your skills - I've a pointer for you (and it's not to provide me any likes or anything) - but it's a fine base tutorial for peeps relatively new to cameras and it helps tremendously if ya actually do the "assignments"
    https://p-v.club/threads/ten-photo-...hotographic-skills-pdf-epub.22104/#post-83565

Keep in mind - there are literally thousands of courses and books here to assist you.