Photography-on-the.net is dead - There goes another one

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Jupiter, 9 Mar 2024.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Gold

Gold Member No Limit
    I just learned Canon's photography forum Photography-on-the.net has gone extinct. I'm disappointed because I had hundreds of technical conversations on that site, which I would have saved to disk, had I known Canon was going to pull the plug.
    When these forums die, is there a way-back-machine or something where they are stored at. I thought nothing on the web is lost forever. Or is it?

https://www.canonrumors.com/photography-on-the-net-forums-to-close-at-the-end-of-2023/

2. aileron747

aileron747 Silver IV

No Limit
  3. aileron747

aileron747 Silver IV

No Limit
    How I use this website is as following. I use it on youtube videos that are set on "private". I have saved them in my playlist so now I see is a message saying "this video doesn't exist anymore". So I copy the url and run it through Wayback Timemachine. I'm happy that I could retrieve the youtube thumbnail and title. Hope it helps for you!

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Gold

Gold Member No Limit
    It doesn't look like it was saved there. I remember the days when the only place to learn anything was from community forums like Photography-on-the.net and DPreview.com. The young'uns have it easy these days.