R - G - B curve question

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tab2020, 27 Jun 2023.

1. tab2020

tab2020 Silver IV

No Limit
    Guys, I'm watching Maarten Schrader's course (Instagram Pro Editor) and because I'm not a english native speaker and because of his accent is a little bit different of I'm used to listen to, I have some questions about it...

If I use the RED CURVE and a ADD red in the shadow, then I go to GREEN CURVE and add green in the shadow, these two colors they will combine and in the end I'm gonna have YELLOW TONE in the shadow?

Or I just understood wrong?

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the R - G - B curve, like how to use it properly, both to improve my editing and also to color the photo the way I want.

jake_nicols2 and english_sir like this.
  2. taadaam

taadaam Silver III

Gold Member
  3. jmgcg1

jmgcg1 Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Hummm let's see if I can help. With curves and working on the R G and B . On Red, if you raise the curve you are adding Red and removing Cyan, which is the opposite color. With Green, you Add Green (up) and remove Magenta. And with Blue, add (curve up) Blue and remove yellow. If you drag the curve down, you are adding the opposite color of that channel. So you always do this Add Color from that Channel and remove the opposite or Add the Opposite and remove the color of the channel
    Now, since R+G gives Yellow because these too combined gives yellow. Same with G+B = C and B+R = M. If you add the same value on the curves, let's say, on Red Input 128 (midtones) and Output 200 and do the same in Green them you have Yellow
    If you use the curve on G and B then you are adding Magenta
    G+R=Y
    R+B=M
    B+G=C
    On CMYK color model
    Y+M=R
    Y+C=G
    C+M=B

4. tab2020

tab2020 Silver IV

No Limit
    english_sir likes this.
  5. tab2020

tab2020 Silver IV

No Limit
    thanks a lot... you've helped so much with it.

But I have another question based on your explanation...

if I add the same value on the curves, let's say, on Red Input 128 (midtones) and Output 200 and do the same in Green them you have Yellow

is there any difference between using RED + GREEN to get yellow instead of using direct YELLOW to add color? Idk if you understand my question (english isn't my first language, sorry).

english_sir likes this.
  6. jmgcg1

jmgcg1 Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Don't worry, English is no mine either.
    Well if you use a Direct Yellow them you have to use a Blend mode since Dir Yellow will change all R G and B colors of the image, using what we are talking about is different. In what you will ask? With Curves, you are only "moving" values on 2 channels.

Hummm let's see if this makes sense. Ok, imagine you have sand from the beach and you have a sieve. So you have Red Grains and Green Grains, they all pass and fall on a paper, but the blue grains are bigger, so they stay. But If all your grains are Yellow and they all can pass, then they all fall on the paper