Regarding Susan Sontag - HBO Documentary (+ RS Interview; On Photography [various versions])

Discussion in 'Other Related Downloads' started by Nikon4life, 6 Jan 2021.

1. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Regarding Susan Sontag - HBO Documentary

A 2014 documentary film about the American intellectual Susan Sontag, directed by Nancy Kates. It premiered at Tribeca Film Festival in April 2014 and on HBO in December 2014. Interviewees include Nobel laureate Nadine Gordimer, writers Terry Castle, Wayne Koestenbaum and Stephen Koch, and Sontag's sister Judith Sontag Cohen. Actress Patricia Clarkson voices Sontag's journals and writings.

upload_2021-1-6_17-3-8.png
    • REGARDING SUSAN SONTAG is an intimate and nuanced investigation into the life of one of the most influential and provocative thinkers of the 20th century. Passionate and gracefully outspoken throughout her career, Susan Sontag became one of the most important literary, political and feminist icons of her generation. The documentary explores Sontag's life through archival materials, accounts from friends, family, colleagues, and lovers, as well as her own words, as read by Patricia Clarkson. From her early infatuation with books to her first experience in a gay bar; from her early marriage to her last lover, REGARDING SUSAN SONTAG is a fascinating look at a towering cultural critic and writer whose works on photography, war, illness, and terrorism still resonate today.

—Question Why Films

Susan Sontag: The Complete Rolling Stone Interview
    upload_2021-1-6_17-15-46.png

“One of my oldest crusades is against the distinction between thought and feeling, which is really the basis of all anti-intellectual views: the heart and the head, thinking and feeling, fantasy and judgment . . . and I don’t believe it’s true. . . . I have the impression that thinking is a form of feeling and that feeling is a form of thinking.”

Susan Sontag, one of the most internationally renowned and controversial intellectuals of the latter half of the twentieth century, still provokes. In 1978 Jonathan Cott, a founding contributing editor of Rolling Stone magazine, interviewed Sontag first in Paris and later in New York. Only a third of their twelve hours of discussion ever made it to print. Now, more than three decades later, Yale University Press is proud to publish the entire transcript of Sontag’s remarkable conversation, accompanied by Cott’s preface and recollections.

Sontag’s musings and observations reveal the passionate engagement and breadth of her critical intelligence and curiosities at a moment when she was at the peak of her powers. Nearly a decade after her death, these hours of conversation offer a revelatory and indispensable look at the self-described "besotted aesthete" and "obsessed moralist."

“I really believe in history, and that’s something people don’t believe in anymore. I know that what we do and think is a historical creation. . . .We were given a vocabulary that came into existence at a particular moment. So when I go to a Patti Smith concert, I enjoy, participate, appreciate, and am tuned in better because I’ve read Nietzsche.”

“There’s no incompatibility between observing the world and being tuned into this electronic, multimedia, multi-tracked, McLuhanite world and enjoying what can be enjoyed. I love rock and roll. Rock and roll changed my life. . . .You know, to tell you the truth, I think rock and roll is the reason I got divorced. I think it was Bill Haley and the Comets and Chuck Berry that made me decide that I had to get a divorce and leave the academic world and start a new life.”

On Photography

upload_2021-1-6_17-18-31.png

Winner of the National Book Critics' Circle Award for Criticism. One of the most highly regarded books of its kind, On Photography first appeared in 1977 and is described by its author as "a progress of essays about the meaning and career of photographs." It begins with the famous "In Plato's Cave"essay, then offers five other prose meditations on this topic, and concludes with a fascinating and far-reaching "Brief Anthology of Quotations."

Unabridged Audiobook
    Release date: 09-02-11
    Language: English
    Publisher: Audible Studios

Also includes epub version and PDF version

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

Last edited: 3 Oct 2023
    hkhanna84, Rajnam, bruno and 26 others like this.
  2. chickenbutt

chickenbutt Silver IV

No Limit
    link is down, could you please reup?

3. Nikon4life

Link refreshed . . . ;)

4. diosdado

diosdado Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
  5. Nikon4life

Link refreshed . . . ;)

dzinetokyo likes this.
  6. diosdado

diosdado Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    thanks

7. dzinetokyo

dzinetokyo Silver III

@Nikon4life Another request for a refresh, please. Recently I have plundering the archives of documentaries, and your auric icon keeps showing up. Sorry to trouble you. As soon as I get gold again, I will be probably asking for refresh of "In No Great Hurry", too. I simply can't imagine the hard disk archives that you and the others maintain...

8. Nikon4life

Saul's post is still active [as of the date of today]; albeit Gold
    I'll repost this thread's material today . . .
    . . . and a gift of Gold to you to expedite your ability to get Leiter's post (such an iconic photographer - and what humility . . . )
    :);):cool:

dzinetokyo likes this.