Retouching portfolio using tutorial images - Copyright concern

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by cappuccetto23, 25 Feb 2019.

1. cappuccetto23

cappuccetto23 Gold

No Limit
    Is it possible to use images from tutorials for retouching portfolio (even writing photographer's name)???.
    For examplie buying (or download from here) a FStoppers' Elia Locardi landscape tutorial or a Dani Diamond portrait shots, edit the images and display them in my online portfolio?
    Or again: RGGEDU tutorials don't have any pdf license about retouching but I'm paying to get the course along with the images to be retouched.

I would like to use them to showcase my skills as a retoucher but I've never worked in this field so I can't get these kind of professional photographs, I also don't have any photography studios.
    But now I'm feeling skilled enough to work on professional images and these tutorial photographs would perfectly show my skills. I take and edit my own photos, but the photos themselves are not at a professional level (light setup, pose...) so they wold describe me simply as an amateur... But on the other side I feel very confident with my retouching skills.

A note:
    In the United States, the Copyright Act defines "derivative work" in 17 U.S.C. § 101:
    A “derivative work” is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”.

Thanks!

2. visioninsight

visioninsight Gold

No Limit
    You are only permitted to use the RAW files in tutorials for practising purposes, if you want to use them in your portfolio you should get the permission of the photographer before doing so. They probably have their own views on the subject. But I have noticed in alot of retouching groups especially on facebook, where photographers give RAW files for retouching practice but if you want them to be used in your portfolio, it is a must to get their permission for the same.

On a different note there are many photographer who do tests you could just get in touch with them and do a TFP agreement. That way there is no violation of copyright. Plus you must always credit the photographer and team while posting such images even if only in your social media.

cocojamboo and cassini like this.
  3. vrdude

vrdude Moderator

Staff Member Gold Member No Limit
    at the very least, credit the photographer

Photographer: xxxx
    Retoucher: me

cassini likes this.