Gold THE ART OF SHAPING STROBED LIGHT - Fine Art Portraiture With Jason Buff

Discussion in 'PRO EDU (RGG EDU)' started by Scorpio13, 21 Nov 2023.

1. xiaoyuer

xiaoyuer Master

No Limit
    work fine,try to change another software

2. umatpati

umatpati Master

Gold Member No Limit
    Awesome

3. SayHello11

SayHello11 Silver IV

Thanks so much for this one as well mr.c

4. Senso12

Senso12 New Member

Gold Member
    Thank you first of all to the uploader(s). Unfortunately this "master" course is really a waste of your time. If you're a novice, he mentions nothing about how light falls off, the inverse square law to control contrast, modifier size vs shadow, height of modifier, scrims etc. etc.....it's just a huge umbrella and the two light setup is that same huge umbrella + a small softbox. If you're already familiar with these fundamental principles, then you're really wasting your time.

His direction for the amateur model he is using is not so good. She has the same awkward dead look in ALL the photos. Amateurs are not actors, you need more fine grained instructions for them, some small talk to make them relax... not something like "imagine you're a princess in a castle" and expect to get a descent expression out of them.

His post processing technique is a huge mess, and he rarely tells you WHY he does something. It's already 6-8 layers of differently processed raw files which he combines just to "control highlights"....there are so many better ways to do what he does, and you won't have a 5GB PS file because it contains 15 layers of the whole photo copied to each layer. For the "color grading" he uses mostly LUTs because "I like how this one looks", but you have zero fine grain control over what they do and you're much better off using for example the Gradient Map adjustment layer for control of the hues of shadows/highlights and you get to pick exactly the hues/saturations you want and what part of the luminosity range they affect.

Complete waste of time...

mr.c and K10K like this.
  5. K10K

K10K Silver II

Now that's what I call a review :D Valid points. I had a feeling it's not great. Unfortunately... cause I was really hoping that PROEDU can still produce a decent tutorial. By decent I mean something more for semi-pro, pro market. Advertising, still life... Man, that Tim Tadder tutorial was awesome, back in a day :D