Gold The Classic Presets - Classic K14 (2020) Kodachrome

Discussion in 'Lightroom Presets' started by Bio_Armor, 15 Jul 2021.

1. Bio_Armor

Bio_Armor Gold

No Limit

The Classic Presets - Classic K14 (2020) Kodachrome Lightroom Presets

Over decades Kodachrome was a good friend to many photographers until Kodak discontinued this famous color film in 2009. Since than it was impossible to develop with the K14 Process.

I’ve started to late with photography and didn't have any possibilities to shoot Kodachrome, but what should I say? I’m a analog guy in this digital world! So I’ve shot every other film you can think of. Kodak Tri-X400, Portra, Fuji Velvia. But I can't stand the feeling, that I never had the chance to shoot Kodachrome 64. I’ve watched a documentary about the last roll of Kodachrome shot by Steve McCurry in 2014. This pushed my wish to shot this film even more.

So if it was impossible to shot Kodachrome as a 35mm film, it might be possible to emulate it digitally to recreate that great look of the most iconic color film? I’ve read all I can find about color profiles and how digital cameras really work, in order to get an insight on how Adobe Lightroom recreates looks and color. It was my aim to create a Lightroom preset, that works with any camera, that shoots raw. This was the start of my "Classic K14 Project".

Say hello to Kodachrome 25, Kodachrome 64 and Kodachrome 200!

2 Years later, my project comes to a successful end. I’ve managed to create a color profile and a Lightroom Preset to get the most accurate look of the latest Kodachrome version of the ’00s, which is possible with our digitale tools today. That was 2017.

Now, almost 4 years later, it's time to make another effort. Yes, the Classic K14 presets were good, but they were mostly good guesses. Since then, a lot has happened for me and I've learned a lot. My sense for colors could mature and so I took 2 years again and worked again and again on a better, more usable, more user-friendly and more authentic Kodachrome look. The work is now done.

This product will work with Adobe Lightroom CC (cloud based Version), CameraRAW (10.3 and above) and Classic CC (7.3 and above).

Sample pictures by: Maximilian Gödecke, Daniel Dittus, Lucas Coersten, Malte Grüner, André Duhme

wi9CQBR.jpg
    LTlv03J.jpg
    cttTNel.jpg
    7oUBwe1.jpg
    qIYkVxn.jpg
    o5PSxtB.jpg

Info:https://theclassicpresets.com/products/classic-k14-2020-kodachrome-lightroom-presets

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by Gold Members(click for instructions) after they click 'Like'.**

2. 515

515 New Member

Retro look :D. Thank you

3. salleno

salleno Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Not just a retro look. This is KODACHROME.

Fwiw, this is a fantastic attempt and about 80% accurate to what it claims to be.

Bob Dobson likes this.
  4. apadah24

apadah24 Silver I

Please update the link

5. paum87

paum87 Silver III

grenice, llobatu, foxeslink and 54 others like this.
  6. bilbobaglips

bilbobaglips Silver II

Interesting to see the example photos here and the new 2024 example photos on his site. He uses the same ones. And you can see the new ones look so much better. Especially the skin tones and skies. Feel like there is a cast removed from it and they now look like they have been processed correctly in lab.
    Thought I saw them on here but can't see, are they worth a buy? I was gonna get Gold again just to get them lol

7. salleno

salleno Master

Yes and no.

A worthy update.... Yes. He did fix the reddish cast on the skin. However, now the skin tones take on a very golden/sun tanned look.

Most of the new presets are ok. The Last Roll Presets are fantastic and look exactly like a National Geographic Kodachrome Print. Not necessarily the slide, but they do look like prints to a very high degree.

Vintage Kodachrome takes a long time to get right and it's not right in this set.

Honestly, if you want Kodachrome 64, and never got The Kodachrome Project l... These are the very best available.

bilbobaglips and lkngood like this.
  8. bilbobaglips

bilbobaglips Silver II

I wonder what is it that is so difficult to get right about the vintage kodachrome, My favourite colours are from those old WW2 factory images with the women working on airplanes etc. But we rarely see examples taken similar to those, so I often wonder what are people using as reference to create the presets.
    I've never heard of "The Kodachrome Project l" I'll look it up, Thanks. always enjoy your input as a you're usually spot on about these things :)

9. bilbobaglips

bilbobaglips Silver II

ah it looks likes The KodaChrome Project preset now links to "Freddie Child-Villiers" and his preset packs. Not entirely sure if that's THE preset though.
    I did find a blog by Chris Gampat interview Freddie from 2021 named
    "HOW ONE MAN IS STRIVING TO KEEP THE LOOK OF KODACHROME 64 ALIVE"

CAORTHANNACH likes this.
  10. salleno

salleno Master

The problem is the same as with K64. Skin tones, reds, greens, blues, yellows and resulting artifacts. People think Kodachrome gave any white skinned person a tan. Not true! Just need to look at the ladies in the WW2 factories to know that's false. Kodachrome mainly had problems with dark skin.

The other problem is that nobody bothered to make reference charts back then. I'm sure Kodak probably has them in their archives though as basic color calibration charts were around early on.

It's a very difficult look to recreate but it's do-able. I've posted samples before. Only took several years to figure it out.

Interesting thing about The Kodachrome Project.

To this day, it's the most accurate rendition of Modern K64 slides that's been sold. The big problem with this one was that it caused artifacts. He released an updated version that smoothed over the color balance but some artifacts remained but original was still the best.

No longer available because Kodak pulled the plug on it. I wonder why...

The Gampat presets don't convince me much when I've looked at them closely. As always the problems are in skin tones and certain colors like red, green, blue, and yellow.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2024
  11. salleno

salleno Master

Same! My absolute favorite film of all time are Kodachrome K10 and K11/12.

I have worked nearly a decade to get those results and it's very difficult indeed and it takes a lot of OCD and patience.

I'll try to post a sample later on to show you what my results look like.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2024
    bilbobaglips likes this.
  12. apadah24

apadah24 Silver I

Where I can get or buy kodachrome k10 and k11/k12 preset?

13. salleno

salleno Master

You can't.

apadah24 likes this.
  14. salleno

salleno Master

Well....here is an example...down to the grain...

DSC01206-1-copy.jpg
    This was done in 5 minutes so to make it look more accurate would require a little bit more time but you get the idea. The skin isn't over-saturated/red. No sunburn look. No artifacts, and even the grain is correct. Red is vibrant, yellow is period correct. Blue looks natural but slightly saturated.

Also, a lot of the look had to do with the fact they used on-camera flash. Those old Graflex had strobe on the handle that helped give it a certain look.

bilbobaglips likes this.
  15. salleno

salleno Master

Here is another one. Just imagine a WW2 German instead of the model...

IMG-5997-copy.jpg

bilbobaglips likes this.
  16. salleno

salleno Master

And here is a proper medium format picture...

4-H6-B8441-copy.jpg

bilbobaglips likes this.
  17. bilbobaglips

bilbobaglips Silver II

This is spot on! It really helps having subjects or colours that are of the period too. Great job on the skin. I'm not entirely sure what causes Kodachrome to react differently to certain skin, Some look nice and natural, others look like they are radient & gold. But actually look good. Most presets the gold looks more like an umpa loompa.

I'm actually struggling with the K14 preset, since one portrait I have with purple Dahlias flowers in the background makes them Orange in the middle, no matter how much you change the whitebalance. And experiencing quite a lot of artifacts where the sky meets the horizon with banding. So it's not something I can use on every image.

18. salleno

salleno Master

PM me a link to your raw file and I'll tell you what's going on.

19. apadah24

apadah24 Silver I

Why I can't buy the preset? Can u tell me the reason?

20. salleno

salleno Master

Because I made it.