The Day in Its Color: Charles Cushman's Photographic Journey Through a Vanishing America

Discussion in 'Photo eBooks' started by Nikon4life, 28 Oct 2023.

1. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    The Day in Its Color: Charles Cushman's Photographic Journey Through a Vanishing America
    by Eric Sandweiss (Author)

More Info HERE

File Format: PDF
    File Size: 27.45 MB
    Publication Date: February 2012

upload_2023-10-28_10-1-26.png

Charles Cushman (1896-1972) photographed a disappearing world in living color. Cushman's midcentury America--a place normally seen only through a scrim of gray--reveals itself as a place as vivid and real as the view through our window.

The Day in Its Color introduces readers to Cushman's extraordinary work, a recently unearthed archive of photographs that is the largest known body of early color photographs by a single photographer, 14,500 in all, most shot on vivid, color-saturated Kodachrome stock. From 1938-1969, Cushman--a sometime businessman and amateur photographer with an uncanny eye for everyday detail--travelled constantly, shooting everything he encountered as he ventured from New York to New Orleans, Chicago to San Francisco, and everywhere in between. His photos include portraits, ethnographic studies, agricultural and industrial landscapes, movie sets and media events, children playing, laborers working, and thousands of street scenes, all precisely documented in time and place. The result is a chronicle of an era almost never seen, or even envisioned, in color.

This well-preserved collection is all the more remarkable for having gone undiscovered for decades. What makes the photos most valuable, however, is the wide range of subjects, landscapes, and moods it captures--snapshots of a lost America as yet untouched by a homogenizing overlay of interstate highways, urban renewal, chain stores, and suburban development--a world of hand-painted signs, state fairs, ramshackle shops, small town living and bustling urban scenes. The book also reveals the fascinating and startling life story of the man who stood, unseen, on the other side of the lens, surely one of America's most impressive amateur photographers and outsider artists.

With over 150 gorgeous color prints, The Day in Its Color gives us one of the most evocative visual histories of mid-20th century America that we have.

Mirror below . . . :cool:

Last edited: 27 Jun 2024
    Coraline, salleno, Mr. Fox and 12 others like this.
  2. dzinetokyo

dzinetokyo Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Thanks! I love collections like this... Fewer and fewer people can remember the time when taking a single photo was quite an investment of self, time, and money, nor do they know the wait to pick up developed prints at the local drugstore and the disappointment of finding half of them blown out, blurry or just unviewable. The vast majority of my memories are recorded across aging synapses, family albums, old high school yearbooks and occasionally a Facebook share, and books like this...

poleniuum and Nikon4life like this.
  3. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

LOL - I remember some of the first photos I took of my pet hamsters and Mount Mitchell in North Carolina, USA were so highly anticipated while waiting for the development process back in the 70s - - - man, did they suck - - - the hamsters were completely blurry and the beautiful mountain range was displayed totally lackluster because of the morning fog and clearing clouds at that elevation . . .I was just a kid and I think I almost completely gave up at that point . . . :rolleyes:

upload_2023-10-28_10-33-32.png

dzinetokyo likes this.
  4. dzinetokyo

dzinetokyo Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    I clearly recall an early Kodak instamatic with the "revolutionary" revolving flash cube and obligatory Christmas photos around a tinseled tree that were picked up a few weeks after the holidays and the tree was in the garbage. (I remember looking at the negative strip against the ceiling light and trying to figure out how to reverse the image in my brain. I never could do it.) And yes, that flash blew out the foreground of every photo and quickly lost power beyond a meter and a half. I hesitate to estimate its GN... Your attempt to get a portrait of your hamster was quite ambitious and speaks to your long-term goals of shooting more sentient subjects. Glad you didn't give up or I couldn't enjoy all these chats!

Nikon4life likes this.
  5. Coraline

Coraline Legendary

Mirror:

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

jromanmd and dhcnet like this.