The Jazz Loft Project: Photographs and Tapes of W. Eugene Smith from 821 Sixth Avenue [epub]

Discussion in 'Photo eBooks' started by Nikon4life, 10 May 2021.

1. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    The Jazz Loft Project: Photographs and Tapes of W. Eugene Smith from 821 Sixth Avenue, 1957-1965
    by Sam Stephenson (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Loft-Project-Photographs-1957-1965/dp/0307267091

upload_2021-5-10_11-56-20.png

In 1957, Eugene Smith, a thirty-eight-year-old magazine photographer, walked out of his comfortable settled world—his longtime well-paying job at Life and the home he shared with his wife and four children in Croton-on-Hudson, New York—to move into a dilapidated, five-story loft building at 821 Sixth Avenue (between Twenty-eighth and Twenty-ninth streets) in New York City’s wholesale flower district. Smith was trying to complete the most ambitious project of his life, a massive photo-essay on the city of Pittsburgh.

821 Sixth Avenue was a late-night haunt of musicians, including some of the biggest names in jazz—Charles Mingus, Zoot Sims, Bill Evans, and Thelonious Monk among them—and countless fascinating, underground characters. As his ambitions broke down for his quixotic Pittsburgh opus, Smith found solace in the chaotic, somnambulistic world of the loft and its artists. He turned his documentary impulses away from Pittsburgh and toward his offbeat new surroundings.

From 1957 to 1965, Smith exposed 1,447 rolls of film at his loft, making roughly 40,000 pictures, the largest body of work in his career, photographing the nocturnal jazz scene as well as life on the streets of the flower district, as seen from his fourth-floor window. He wired the building like a surreptitious recording studio and made 1,740 reels (4,000 hours) of stereo and mono audiotapes, capturing more than 300 musicians, among them Roy Haynes, Sonny Rollins, Bill Evans, Roland Kirk, Alice Coltrane, Don Cherry, and Paul Bley. He recorded, as well, legends such as pianists Eddie Costa, and Sonny Clark, drummers Ronnie Free and Edgar Bateman, saxophonist Lin Halliday, bassist Henry Grimes, and multi-instrumentalist Eddie Listengart.

Also dropping in on the nighttime scene were the likes of Doris Duke, Norman Mailer, Diane Arbus, Robert Frank, Henri Cartier-Bresson, and Salvador Dalí, as well as pimps, prostitutes, drug addicts, thieves, photography students, local cops, building inspectors, marijuana dealers, and others.

Sam Stephenson discovered Smith’s jazz loft photographs and tapes eleven years ago and has spent the last seven years cataloging, archiving, selecting, and editing Smith’s materials for this book, as well as writing its introduction and the text interwoven throughout.

W. Eugene Smith’s Jazz Loft Project has been legendary in the worlds of art, photography, and music for more than forty years, but until the publication of The Jazz Loft Project, no one had seen Smith’s extraordinary photographs or read any of the firsthand accounts of those who were there and lived to tell the tale(s) . . .

Mirror link in Post #3

Last edited: 10 Aug 2022
    Shinigami, salleno, animelrhl and 7 others like this.
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Any chance of a re-up please?
    Thank you :)

3. jbgood47

jbgood47 Legendary

Here is a mirror. Please give a like to the original poster too.
    The Jazz Loft Project - Photographs and Tapes of W. Eugene Smith from 821 Sixth Avenue, 1957-1965.epub (268.80 MB)
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**

4. JohnDo

JohnDo Legendary

Maybe next time you should give the original poster the opportunity to update/refresh his post first, instead of stealing his post on the same day? !

Something "Nikon4life" always does with all his content!!!

Last edited: 9 Aug 2022
  5. jbgood47

jbgood47 Legendary

Sorry if i have offended someone. It was never my intention to steal the post, I was just trying to help another member in the group.

Nikon4life likes this.
  6. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

@jbgood47 and @JohnDo -
    I'm cool with anyone filling the post as a mirror - even if it's the same day. I try to fill as best I can but it does get crazy with Mega-links and such dropping, etc.

What I'll do is add a footer (as part of the signature) to my ID (or whatever) indicating to feel free to mirror at one's leisure - :);):cool::cool::cool:

7. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Thank you, and thanks to @Nikon4life for the original post :D

Nikon4life likes this.
  8. Coraline

Coraline Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    Mirror:

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: You must click 'Like' before you can see the hidden data contained here.**