The Perfect Exposure for Sony Alpha cameras

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ariel, 18 Jun 2020.

1. ariel

ariel Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Hey guys, hope you do all well.

I wonder if there is a "professional" Photographer to give me some advice in the perfect exposure in Sony Alpha Cameras. I recognize that the Color - especially in the Skin tone - shift a lot when the exposure is over or underexposed.

Yesterday i watched the Liquidverve Shooting Tutorial, but it wasn`t that much helpful - never showed her LCD and how she expose an image.

I want to know what Zebras Level do you use to get perfect Skin Exposures? I tried out 100+, but this not as good, because some parts are still overexposed in the skin.

So i tryed 95 and the Lights in the face are also overexposed.
    75 worked in my opinion the best, but the images looks too much underexposed.

Now i want to hear how do you handle the Zebras and Histogram in Sony Alpha Cameras for a perfect exposed Skin. I use a A7 III mainly with a Sony 85 mm 1.8 or the 55 mm 1.8 from Zeiss.

newrona likes this.
  2. born2day

born2day New Member

Hey @cocexperte1 by any means i'm not a "professional" ph so for an in depth explanation i can suggest you checking:
    Mark Galer youtube channelor Gerald Undone youtube channel
    for a quick resolution you can check thisvideo from Paul Leeming on ETTR instead

The reason why Exposure To The Right is prevalent is that due to the compression codec: you have less noise bringing everything down rather than pushing the shadows up. Of course if you are shooting stills your best option is to use bracketing from drive mode and mix it in post.

Also be ware that zebra value are specific for each skintone meaning it will vary upon matching a darker/lighter skintone.

As far i know i've never heard about a7iii color shifting (that could be maybe because i'm rather new to this industry) so if i was in your shoes i would probably check the white balance.
    For white Balance i use a "colorchecker passport" which even if is rather expensive looks handy and durable. (they also have a youtube channel where they explain how to use it)

ariel likes this.
  3. mrlulhahhah

mrlulhahhah Silver IV

No Limit
    A good alternative to the SpyderColor Checkr 24 (SCK 200).

newrona likes this.
  4. ariel

ariel Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Thank you guys for your answers. I read the Book from David Busch about the Sony A7 III - quite helpful.
    Also read some other books with other tips, but the majority of them is pure crap. So hard for a beginner to learn the right way.

- Hoping for Shortstaches coming Workshop he mentioned in his Baseset Tutorials: HOW TO SHOOT -

In summary: Never overexpose Highlights.

- ETTR is not the rightes site of the Histogram -> it`s the far right site with no overexposing highlight.
    - Skintones and zebra value are specific for each skintone - like @born2day mentioned already. I use now 80 for standard and my skintones improve a lot.
    - and the best tip i get: Use the Viewfinder and decide more by eye than on math :)

Hope this helps out.

I think about getting a ColorChecker, but i think a grey card will be enough for the first time.

born2day likes this.
  5. ariel

ariel Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Mark Galers Videos are okay, but don`t cover everything i want to know.
    So i find a really educative Video. It is quite long, but he explains really god how your lightning affect your colors and how to expose right in Sony Alpha Cameras :) - helped me really out.

Hope this is okay to share
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNWWEMS_rEk

Takeaways from the Video
    So what’s the formula? You need to:
    • Shoot uncompressed RAW only.
    • Switch to neutral creative style and reduce the contrast to -3. The color space doesn’t matter.
    • Use just the histogram to make sure your scene doesn’t clip. You can quickly raise the exposure from middle grey by two stops, and then work from there.
    • Ignore the highlight exposure warnings. Don’t use the zebras!
    • Until I get some clarity on Capture One, process RAW images in Lightroom or ACR.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2020
    santonio and born2day like this.
  6. born2day

born2day New Member

Since i'm starting to understand a bit more what you wanna know i can add that:
    zebra do make difference ( that video of Galer is 5 years old!)
    zebra can show u the clipping point, in the video he was not clipping on "100+" zebra setting because (if i'm not mistaken) he was in slog2 which has a clipping point of 106% .
    Gamma affect the raw photo regardless if u have Picture profile off (that should be still gamma)
    You can get more info on gammas here
    As a safety measure i also recommend setting zebra a lil lower (3-5% less) from you clipping point so that you are sure you are not even clipping a single channel (lets say red)

>Gerald is more technical*, here's a video about a7iii exposure

*also i'm feeling bad about suggesting you about mark channel since he's a lil harder to digest.

ariel likes this.
  7. ariel

ariel Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Hmm setting the picture Profiles to off is not possible? There is just the "Standard" Profile - if this is what you mean by "off".
    But even the Standard Profile is a Profile ...

My problem was, when i shoot in Standard Profile and set the exposure to the histogram, i get over or underexposed images and the histogram looks on the pc totaly different (shifted to left or more right). So i can`t relly on the tiny histogram on the lcd of the sony a7 iii.

Today i tested the Neutral Profile with -3 Contrast and tested out how accurate the histogram was later on my PC. I have to say, that i get 95% accurate Histogram later in Lightroom. The tiny histogram on the a7 iii looks quite the same later in Lightroom. I also tested it with the Zebra Level at 80 and some Pictures only by histogram and some other with pure eye with the evf.

I got the best results in a combination of the histogram and the zebras 80. My next Portrait shooting is next week on sunday. Hope it will work out well like today in my testings :)

But yeah, i will watch your linked videos and tell what i think - so great to got somebody who understand what i`m talking about hehe.

born2day likes this.
  8. ariel

ariel Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    So i watched now the Gerald Undone Video, it was very educative :)
    Unfortunately the video is about exposing for videos and not stills - i wonder if the rules are the same without the HLG Profile or SLOG.

The question is: What profile is the best to work with histogram and zebras.

He showed a technique how to get proper skin tones with the zebras. Otherwise to set the zebras to show overexposed highlights, it is possible to set the zebras to show specific colors - see Picture below:
    My theory: If this works i will set first the zebra for the model and then use the same number to show clipping highlights. This should bring me perfect skin tones in Combination with a grey card for white balance?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-21 um 00.28.20.png

And anybody interested in the Values for Skin Tones - Here is a chart he did:
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-21 um 00.28.54.png

thib and born2day like this.
  9. born2day

born2day New Member

Creative (profile) is an exemple of PP off (if u notice u cannot have both creative profile and PP at the same time)
    Anyway from the menù you can select PP off directly (if you can't maybe you dont have the latest firmware)

You should choose a gamma and stick with it (for consistency), if you are shooting stills the best gamma should be "still" (which is the same as PP off) (but then you could use detail -7 (for maximum accuracy always sharpen in post) and crispning 7 (result in less noise) (please use 0 crispning if you want to show the subtle textures in a close up).
    If you are shooting stills and short clip or movies just use the same PP as the one you shot for movie (helps a lot matching in post).

Your theory is definitely right, as soon as you get your grey card you should be fine. (just be sure to get a quality one (expensive doesn't mean quality tho)

re-reading this i felt i missed saying you that 95-7% zebra are good to check the overall exposure of the scene (not the subject!)
    Also regarding exposure, isn't always bad to blow some highlights as far those are light spots.
    Closing remember that dynamic range on a7iii is great but still limited around 13 stops of light so be reasonable with your composition, and yield to bracketing in extreme light situation ;)

ariel likes this.
  10. ariel

ariel Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    @born2day

I have to clear up a misunderstanding. By "profile" I meant creative mode all the time.

I NEVER take pictures with PP, only with the normal creative mode (Standard, Portrait, Neutral,...) - yes I know that these have no effect on RAW. As I said before, I am concerned with an accurate histogram.

Yes, the dynamic range is good but I don't rely on it - rather get the picture in camera as good as possible.
    Example: If the person is totally underexposed and the shadows are raised, the colors look totally unusable.

11. ariel

ariel Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    So, today i tested my new settings out.

Zebras 80 and Standard Creative Mode with -3 Contrast gives me 100% perfect Exposure.

On the crappy Sony LCD the Pictures looks sometimes really underexposed, but in Lightroom they reach a never seen before accuracy in Exposure. So happy to figured it out :D

BTW: I use now a X-Rite Colorchecker Passport Photo, This gives me perfect Whitebalance and also pretty nice colors out of the Sony camera. I missed a lot my old Canon and the Colors but with this, i`m over with Canon`s old Systems.

born2day likes this.