THIS SITE IS NOT PROTECTING ME, AND THAT COULD BE A PROBLEM FOR YOU TOO!

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Complaints' started by DesertFox, 28 Sep 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesertFox

DesertFox Gold Nova

No Limit
    It's time to bring this to the open membership because for whatever reason the site admin (george, with the annoying lower case "g") has decided to do absolutely nothing about it. Those of you who use hacked Windows Software know that I have taken ownership of ALL of it that relates to the business and hobby of Photography and Videography since my return to the site. What that means IS, no members were consistently (if at all) posting current versions of said software. I am and there are a few things I do in the process that should be important to you. First, I find said software from within my source network and download it. I do this with my antivirus software turned on so that I can alert you if turning it off during that process is necessary. I then un-archive it, again with my antivirus turned on. Then I TEST it to make sure that the program appears to be running properly on my two (2) computers. When it does, and only when it does, do I find a suitable free hosting site to upload the file(s). Some of these programs can be quite large (8-14 GB). Our admin thinks I should purchase hosting space out of my pocket in order for him make money from my offerings. That's not going to happen, not ever!

So here's the problem, which was never a problem when I was here previously. Once a member has taken ownership of a software program for the site, his/her rights to it were and should be protected against snakes in the grass who find a cracked program, rush to the site and post it, even though I (in this case) have already established ownership with a thread devoted to said software program. These snakes in the grass, do NOT go through all the motions and procedures I take to insure your protection as well as your time, effort and energy in hopefully preparing to enjoy the program. I cannot go on providing all these software programs if I am not going to be protected against a-holes who most likely don't even use the programs in question. Like all contributors here, at least part of our goal is to gain "likes." Any member who has taken ownership of a program, tutorial, preset, educational file, etc., should be allowed at the bare minimum 48 hours to update said program, file, etc., before a snake in the grass is allowed to upload what should be at best no more than a temporary thread. And, temporary threads should be taken down immediately upon the upload of the new version by said owner of the thread. Personally, I believe any "Likes" received from the temp file(s) should also be immediately transferred to the owner of the thread. Why? Because it will deter snakes in the grass from posting a temp thread or file just to gain "likes."

Please do not misunderstand, I am not talking about mirror files here! In addition, please don't misunderstand my definition of "owner or ownership of the file or thread" for lack at the moment of a better term. Of course the site owns the thread, but it does NOT own the all important file link or links!

Moderators must be given the power to act on these situations and not have to refer the question to the admin. Putting this into a real life situation, a police officer witnessing a robbery shouldn't have to call the Chief of Police for permission to make an arrest.

Ownership of a thread should, of course, come with some stipulations. But, the original thread poster should be given at a bare minimum 48 hours to update the new version. That in and of itself is ridiculous, considering the site offers OPs (original posters) 30 days to re-up a given file. And based on the overwhelming amount of clutter and rubbish files available here, presumably you have forever to update an outdated file. I'm not asking for that, but protection from people like @xavier pixel and the like is necessary for major contributors to the site (like me) in order to continue here. I spend more hours on this site daily, weekly or monthly, than combined total of the present staff! That's on me, but it's an indication of my desire to be of value to the site. I attempt to assist people when and where necessary, and I'm constantly in pursuit of any new or updated Windows software programs (and a few other items) that could be useful and enjoyable for at least a portion of the membership.

This is not a case of whether you like me or not, or at least it shouldn't be. The situation is very clear, just as clear as it was the day I joined this site three (3) years ago. You have no other member proven to be ready, willing and able to provide all the software material that I can for Windows products. And, do it in a timely fashion. Additionally, taking the time to insure (within reason) that the software should be able to run (in the overwhelming number of cases) on your computer providing it meets all system requirements specified by the software developer. But I need the site to protect me!

Thanks for listening. Your comments (pro & con) would be appreciated here (and/or in the privacy of DM if better suited).

bitjerman and rudolph0220 like this.
  2. onlykhaz

onlykhaz Silver III

I appreciate the time and effort you put into contributing to the site, but I think there are a few important things to clear up

Ownership – It seems like you're heavily invested in the idea of "owning" certain threads or software programs. However, this is a community site, and the goal is to share, not control. No one owns software links here, especially not those that are reuploads from public sources. Anyone who has access to a reliable and safe version should feel free to contribute. It’s about teamwork, not competition.

Since a lot of the software you mentioned is available on popular Russian forums and other well-known sources, it's hard to claim any exclusivity over them. You're not the only one with access to these resources, and it's not fair to act as though other members can’t contribute in similar ways. Gatekeeping or insisting on credit for things you don't personally develop doesn’t foster the sense of community we’re all aiming for.

Moderation and Respect – It's concerning to hear the strong language you use toward other members, especially when calling them "snakes in the grass" and other insults. We should all aim to maintain a respectful tone here, even when we disagree. Throwing around blame or attacking others isn’t going to get us anywhere, and it certainly doesn’t help the moderators or admins make good decisions. Let’s all try to keep things constructive.

Protection and Recognition – I understand that gaining "likes" or recognition is important to you, but let's not forget that this platform exists for everyone. If someone finds an updated version of something you’ve posted, they should absolutely be able to share it. This isn't about territory or competition; it's about making resources available to those who can benefit from them. If you're confident in the quality of your contributions, people will recognize that. But we can’t build walls around threads or expect moderators to police who gets credit for what. This is a shared space.

Ultimately, I think we need to focus more on collaboration rather than trying to divide the community.

george likes this.
  3. DesertFox

DesertFox Gold Nova

No Limit
    Yes, you bring up a couple of interesting points. Let me touch on a couple of things you didn't mention. Your feelings are mainly hurt because you were occasionally posting Nik Collectkion by DxO but incorrectly naming your thread as DxO Nik Collection. I don't know if you did this out of ignorance or trying to take advantage of the poor Search function we have in place here. As a result, when I posted the latest version 6.12, your abandoned thread for version 6.9 is listed near the top of various searches because "D" comes before "N". So the correct and latest version of the program lands on page 2 and yours remains at the top of page 1. The sad thing about that is, your thread should have been deleted when mine, correctly named, was posted. As a result, your v6.9 most likely was downloaded by people who thought they were downloading the latest version. Wrong!

So sure, lets open the doors here to everyone being able to post anything they like. Wow! You gave a ton of thought to that didn't you? That could result in (for the sake of discussion) 15 different members posting threads for Topaz Photo AI for example. Someone has to take control and I have already done this fairly and squarely,. Any of you could have done it based on your logic, that many of you have at least some of my sources. In fact, you should have had them as I freely posted at least two (2) complete lists of links to those sites here in the past. The result was and and still is, it's just easier to let DesertFox provide them for us.

Oh, and by the way, after I had posted v6.12 (because you had failed to continually update the program with new versions) you decide to update your thread to v6.12. One of the problems with this is that the hacker of the version you posted did NOT do a correct job. You would have known that had you attempted to run the program before posting it here.

To your credit, you removed it when I asked you to, but you also downloaded the version I offered to see the difference. Point being, I know what I'm doing!!! I think that should be important here as well? No brag, just fact!

In closing, I respect those who show me respect.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2024
  4. DesertFox

DesertFox Gold Nova

No Limit
    Um, was there a point to what you've posted that has anything to do with the subject? That's also part of the problem here. It's an English only site, but so many of you do not actually know English ... you don't know how to properly express the words in a sentence that actually makes sense. And, then when you are corrected, you consider the person rude.

5. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Recently – there have been three newly defined areas created on the forum:
    - Windows Software
    - Mac Software

upload_2024-9-28_21-53-17.png

And additionally –
    - Archive

upload_2024-9-28_21-53-56.png

Admin George implemented these areas primarily on the discourse originating by DesertFox . His response in summary:

upload_2024-9-28_21-54-33.png

In a nutshell: The effort is to streamline the site with the now-recognized areas specific to software-related posts and clean-up (actually, much needed and long overdue) without the loss of associated “likes”. It’s all meant in betterment to push the forum forward.

If someone (DesertFox) is willing to put forth the time required of maintaining Windows-related software (and associated routine updates) – that’s something which should be respectfully acknowledged. Looking at the recent Windows Software in concert with the above explanation outlines his willingness to contribute foundationally required software of-the-trade. Doing so on a continuum basis with associated pre-posting testing is additionally noteworthy and should not be overlooked for its effort (compared to copy-paste simplicity; and not in the newly-defined area - - - further adding to the clutter).

The word “ownership” or any iteration of same may grate some – but the ultimate outcome is well-intentioned.

I think the site will be better for these identified changes – but it will take time and I believe this is part of the transitioning process . . . positive change takes time . . .

Prior to these 3 areas being phased in – I didn’t realize what DesertFox was actually contributing to the forum. I had to take some time and do a little deep-dive on my part. I was actually thinking “Who the hell does this guy think he is”?

Perusal of the Thread [Windows Software] and reading the take-away points of Post #1 within this thread should make evident the positive potential outcomes (frustrations aside).

6. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    I've made an observation of the above posts which unfortunately make me feel compelled to make an open (non DM) statement here.
    @morpheus122 Post #5 above is of his opinion and fueled by emotion (to some degree) - and is reflective of one's right to voice their opinion (in response or otherwise).

My issue lies with the observance that you (@Fearless ) liked this Post - are you not a Moderator? Please voice your take on the matters of discussion within this thread and those leading up to this point. Please don't take my positing of questioning as an affront but one of genuine inquiry.

Liking a post as a Moderator with connotation of denigration only furthers the potential to foster argument of meaninglessness. What are the standards expected of one with such title in this forum? Shouldn't one assume a Moderator be devoid of emotion on principle and focus on the facts-at-hand with eventual outcome(s). And if a violation has been made relative to conduct - - - has there been applicable warning(s) or action taken to effect positive change (or correctional intent)?

Just sayin' . . .

bitjerman and jmgcg1 like this.
  7. DesertFox

DesertFox Gold Nova

No Limit
    Browse through this list of Windows Software that I am current providing this site with up-to-date versions. You may not wish to call it "ownership" and that's fine with me, but I most certainly have "control" of this software ... or at least should have.

However, the admin of this site has just informed me that I will not be protected and that all my efforts have been made in vain. So review this list, it is no more!

Cheers, the morons of this site have won. I'm done!

Otherwise Related Downloads
    Why the following haven't been moved into the Windows Software sub-forum is beyond understanding!

Topaz Video AI
    Irix HDR Pro
    Serif Affinity Suite
    DaVinci Resolve Studio
    Adobe Lightroom Classic 2024
    InPixio Photo Maximizer Pro (mine via Zaka)
    InPixio Photo Focus Pro (mine via Zaka)
    Aiarty Image Enhancer (mine via Zaka)
    Upscayl
    Perfectly Clear Workbench

Window Software (sub-forum)

Capture One Pro / Enterprise
    DxO FilmPack
    Adobe Illustrator 2024
    Red Giant Trapcode Suite 2025.0
    Adobe Photoshop 2024 Portable
    Ashampoo Photo Commander
    Red Giant VFX Suite 2025.0