Wedding Film: What if there is no natural light (cloudy/raining) on wedding day.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by moonwalker, 9 Jun 2021.

1. moonwalker

moonwalker Legendary

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering, how do you light the wedding from the bride session, groom, and first look when it is a cloudy day/rainy day?
    Not every wedding will give us a perfect natural light like what we see in the tutorial.

Need your guidance here.

Thanks,
    moonwalker

Last edited: 9 Jun 2021
    creep387 likes this.
  2. bholenath

bholenath Gold

No Limit
    Cloudy/Rainy is not bad on it's own. You have to see if that cooler tone fits in with your overall aesthetic and mood (colour) I've learnt the hard way that you have to carry some video lights no matter what. To provide a little fil, some accents here and there. It's actually quite nice to blow some highlights once in a way.

moonwalker likes this.
  3. moonwalker

moonwalker Legendary

Got it! thanks a lot

4. bholenath

bholenath Gold

No Limit
    You are welcome. Depending on time + money/resources don't be afraid to experiment with adding a bit of light but then subtracting it to. Cloudy/rainy is usually quite desirable for exteriors since the light gets diffused so less harshness. Sometimes I'd ask the make-up artist to do a few shots just for the camera outside in a balcony when it's overcast. Things like the lipstick can really pop out then. Again, everything depends on your situation and location/setting.

5. salleno

salleno Legendary

Cloudy is the best! Nice even light and you can get some super dramatic shots that way.

Rainy can be fun in its own right but does make picture more difficult, especially if you gear isn't waterproof. For this reason, I always care a large bag around where I can put my camera and lens in it, and cut a small hole just to have the lens unobstructed.

I agree with bholenath, that you will need some video lights and an assistant if possible. Highly recommend the following light...

https://www.amazon.com/RGB-Recharge...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

moonwalker likes this.
  6. moonwalker

moonwalker Legendary

Thank you so much!

7. bholenath

bholenath Gold

No Limit
    Yeh. The lights that you can get today compared to even 2 years ago are just so amazing in terms of cost/portability/power.

Just keep an eye out on what is available in your market.

8. puppetwarp

puppetwarp Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    I use these to add a bit of light when needed.....Both are excellent the Yongnuo is an RGB light so I can create any color with that one and the smaller light is nice as it has barn doors to direct the light just where I need it......If you have an assistant then you can get them to hold it just out of frame but they can also be mounted on a light stand...highly recommended for anyone who doesn't want to spend an absolute fortune on lighting but needs them for run and gun video work.....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779B1B2F/ref=emc_b_5_t

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Photo.../dp/B07WR4B1B9/ref=psdc_3347881_t2_B0721WQWYB

moonwalker likes this.
  9. moonwalker

moonwalker Legendary

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you doing hybrid Photography & videography? When you install the lights in the room, did the photographer use your light as well or they will use their own strobes?

10. puppetwarp

puppetwarp Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    I can do a mix of photography/videography but I prefer it when I am just the filmmaker...it depends on the photographer and the look they want..to be honest most of them just do their own thing..I really only use lights when there are no windows in the room or its a dark hallway.....for groom/bridal prep I turn off all the room lights and close the curtains on multiple windows leaving just one window open......so I can just have one natural light source to work with..a lot of photographers don't understand why I do it.

moonwalker likes this.
  11. moonwalker

moonwalker Legendary

i see. now I know how to work on this scenario. Thanks again @puppetwarp

12. puppetwarp

puppetwarp Gold Nova

Gold Member No Limit
    I just posted a video request for The Luxury Look.....this is the type of work thats similar to how I shoot...well worth investing in.

moonwalker likes this.
  13. moonwalker

moonwalker Legendary

Let me take a look