what not to do with your backup disks

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Thunder, 24 Feb 2024.

1. Thunder

Thunder Legendary

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Two Backup disks each 5 TB were corrupted.

So, how did i manage to corrupt em both??

I used to keep 15% free disk space for indexing. That was when I had external disks that needed to be plugged to electricity. That used to work.

With portable disks I've maintained at least 20% free for indexing. It seems that was not enough for the 5Tb disks.

Disk A has 23% free disk space. I can see all the directories, subdirectories and files, but can't access any of the files, can't copy, can't delete and can't play the training courses nor edit text files.
    The system doesn't give any indication that the disk is at fault.

Disk B has 20% free disk space, that's one Tera for God's sake.
    I can see root directories only. If I tried to access any of the directories, the system spits the dummy and declares the error disk. I won't be able to see it again unless I reboot my laptop.

Both disks were backup disks. So all original work is on other disks. I make sure to keep 40% free disk space on those disks.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2024
  2. lkngood

lkngood Global Elite

Lifetime Gold Trusted Gold Member No Limit
    Thunder likes this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Gold

Gold Member No Limit
    My main external hard drive is 99% full. Are you saying it's at risk of corrupting. Or are you only talking about backup drives?

4. Thunder

Thunder Legendary

do your best to lower the contents on the drive. All disks need some space for indexing.
    If in doubt google it.
    My background is IT mainly in Unix n Linux with good exposure to Windows.

5. Thunder

Thunder Legendary

Thank you so much mate. I've downloaded the file n will try it later.
    It's not expected to rain in the ACT today. So will try a new gadget I purchased recently. Electric weed killer, thermal weeding to 650 degrees Celsius. Check it at Amazon...

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Gold

Gold Member No Limit

I think buffer space is already built into the drive. For example my Drive, which is rated 18TB, only gives me 16.3TB of available storage. The remainder must be the required indexing space. Is my guess.

upload_2024-2-24_18-44-28.png

7. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Not necessarily implying that this is what occurred with your drives - but it's important to make sure your drives (especially if not on the internal side of the computer) are getting enough power from the power supply or has a dedicated USB hub that's powered independently for drives powered by the USB cable (many are these days). Most peeps fail to factor in the need for an adequately steady source and when prone to multitask (as many of us aptly do) power easily fluctuates significantly - and this can easily result in corrupting an 'external' drive. I'm sure many know this but there may be a fair amount that don't and this "tidbit" may save those a future major headache . . .

There's a myriad of recommendations as to any "best" method of back-up and particular size of drive to use. Anecdotally, I've had greatest longevity with those in the 2-3 TB size - - - and I guess the loss (even if you've maintained a back-up) stings a bit less on a smaller-sized drive.

For me personally - I'd probably only use a drive bigger than 5TB as a tertiary back-up (I've old dumb habits that are hard to bid adieu. . .)

I hope your restoration goes well and perhaps provides a limited amount of time for outing the older material . . . is anything really old . . . ;)

lkngood and Thunder like this.
  8. mr.c

mr.c Master

Gold Member No Limit
    I am not sure that a disk drive which is almost full would become corrupted because of that. For me it was usually age/quality even when they were sitting in the bookshelf only being used from time to time.
    Yes with SSDs you should keep 10-20% free at least with the first SSDs when they came out, but recently (I think it was Corsair) Support told me no longer needed it is build in. For backups I no longer use single drives. I have two Synology boxes that support BTRFS filesystem with checksums enabled and I let data scrubbing run each month.
    https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/Btrfs
    https://kb.synology.com/en-id/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/storage_pool_data_scrubbing?version=7
    From what I remember is when disks are not rewritten info might slowly fizzle away, as it is with any magnetic medium so from time to time a rewrite/refresh might be good. A super quick google gave me this:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/13914/disk-data-refresh/
    Learning by the hard way I try to do multiple backups for the stuff that it is important to me.

Nikon4life and lkngood like this.
  9. xiaoyuer

xiaoyuer Master

Gold Member No Limit
    I don't think this is a problem with the remaining storage space on the hard drive. All storage media will weaken their magnetism over time, and data may be damaged. In addition to these, the lifespan of the magnetic head and the stability of the power supply may also affect the reading of data on the disk, so usually I will backup and store it again at intervals, and also save a copy on the network hard drive. Multiple backups to different storage media can effectively prevent data loss

lkngood likes this.