Wonderful Websites Worth Visiting Once . . .

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Nikon4life, 13 Nov 2021.

1. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Hi all –

Would like to know of some websites you’ve all visited that you’d consider significant contributing resource(s) toward your learning the craft of photography / videography. I know there are a lot out there – but it takes a lot of time to go through and sort the wheat from the chaff. Here are a few photo-related that I’ve found beneficial over the years in no particular order (2 on the Main drag and 3 off the beaten path):

The Online Photographer
    Since its founding in November 2005, TOP has become one of the most popular "small" photography sites on the Web. It's edited and organized by veteran photo magazine writer and editor Mike Johnston.
    A great site where oftentimes the comments are intelligent and worthy of saving. He also coordinates print sales every so often (as well as books too) – have a few that are worth 5 times their initial cost.
    Luv his article “How to buy a camera in 16 easy steps

Thom Hogan’s site titled byThom
    His About page details what he covers – but the guy pretty much lives and breaths Nikon. His articles reflect a measured approach and he’s not afraid to speak his mind – often in the face of heard mentality that the marketing gurus would wish for. His seminal article on tripods is worth reading and then re-reading again (it extends beyond mere tripods).

Oleg Novikov’s site HERE
    A photographer working in China, he states “While I strive to produce artistic work and, by extension, something that truly bears my signature, this site is nothing but my personal playground, a sandbox where I explore, experiment and build sand castles. As mentioned on the home page, it is a collection of random ramblings and musings, both visual and written. Whether any of it is art, only time—and you, the viewer—can tell.”

His Gallery highlights the beauty of the many regions of China. He also has some great (albeit older) essays and reviews.

upload_2021-11-13_16-18-21.png
    The Great Wall at Jiayuguan #1

Reid Reviews is a subscription-based site with quality-based . . . well . . . reviews of various cameras and lenses. His primary bread and butter was Leica and Voigtlander back in the day- - - but now has many articles on newer Fuji and other stuff. He has great essays as well!

Amolitor’s “Photos and Stuff” site [blogspot] HERE
    All I can say is that it’s refreshing to see someone can still think . . . and write, too . . . ;)
    His "Introduction to Photography" is a great read :D

Looking forward to any shares . . . :)

Last edited: 14 Nov 2021