Quality vs. Quantity

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Complaints' started by Leona95, 15 Jun 2020.

1. Leona95

Leona95 Gold Nova

No Limit
    Let's face it: Life is too short to watch all tutorials out there. It's even too short to find all the great ones.

Why not help each other to find the high quality ones and hidden gems? I think it could help to read short reviews of members who watched a certain tutorial and have an opinion on it. Of course it's important to communicate which level the student is at. A newbie who never did any landscape stuff won't be able to tell which the advantages of a pro level tutorial are. It's a very subjective thing!

It might look like this:

Tutorial: Beauty Retouching by John Doe

About me: Basic retouching skills like D&B and cleaning skin for portraits.

Review: Great examples and lots of workarounds how to remove hair from the face. I enjoyed his detailed explanations and his opinion about naturally looking skin in beauty portraits.

Pros:
    • Very pleasant to listen too. 3h feel like 1h.
    • Nice workflows about hair issues: Curly hair, flyaways, straight hair etc.

Cons:
    • He's a big fan of frequency separation which is not recommended in the industry, as far as I know.
    • Sometimes he's rushing through basic steps and I had to watch earlier sections of the tutorial to keep up.

Conclusion: It's for advanced students who want to understand everything about fixing complex hair issues mostly. He gives very interesting insights into the retouching industry.

2. Cheetah

Cheetah Gold

No Limit
    that's good suggestion i agree we should have that but i also think you kinda know which sites are good for certain things like proedu is amazing high-end educational.
    but yeah we need that, most of the time I download a course at the end i figured out i already know that stuff

Leona95 likes this.
  3. visualsoft

visualsoft Gold Nova

No Limit
    Great example hownto do
    Where can I find this tut?

4. greengoblin

greengoblin Silver III

Top notch suggestion, Leone. I can't speak for others. But I myself found difficult to choose a tutorial to start from, several times.

I would certainly benefit from the review system, and can contribute what little I have understood about photography.

On the lighter note, don't we already have such system on Reddit? But, I feel it's not organized.

Leona95 likes this.
  5. cotyora

cotyora Gold

No Limit
    Tutorial: https://p-v.club/threads/aliasedu-building-composite-backgrounds-antti-karppinen.17118/

About me: Basic retouching skills, know photoshop capabilities well, but not good at applying

Review: Antti Karppinen has a very good way of teaching. He first plan what to create as manipulation by sketching. Then he puts all the images together and make perspective corrections. The most valuable thing in this tutorial is, he gives a way of blending of images together working for all photos. For matching contrast, saturation and tones, he uses a guideline which may work on every photo you want to manipulate.

Pros:
    • Easy to understand and try
    • Gives an idea how to blend different images with different contrast, saturation and tones. You will like it
    • Using latest photoshop 2020
    Cons:
    • He should use Grouping Layers, it makes easier to understand and easier to follow

Conclusion: It's for intermediate people who want to understand the way of blending diffent images in contrast, saturation and tones.

Nikon4life and Leona95 like this.
  6. Leona95

Leona95 Gold Nova

No Limit
    Sorry to say but this is just a dummy :) The tutorial I describe does not exist.

7. mariana

mariana Gold

Gold Member No Limit
    I need to say it...
    Paulina Duczman she didn't explain her real workflow and I dont mind because It's not my style, but people that buy her tut, think that they will learn exactly her style.
    In my experience I love Liquidverve tuts, of course Phlearn and Pratik. Pro edu of course, but more the Chris Knight and Lindsay Adler are also so nerdy that I enjoy so much to see their tuts...

I will see now the Greg Benz because Liquidverve also tell about see more of him... But yeah you are right are a lot of tuts that it's not worth to see. Maybe take some tips of one or another, it's the benefit of this Forum.

For example Rebeca Saray have a weird style but she know a lot, she have many workshops of different things, and she teach very well, but Amina Donskaya is amazing but she is a disaster in her workflow, I hate her steps and I saw first her tut and get me crazy...

Thats why I found the Crehana and Domestika cool, because are short and step and step (with the advanced photoshop ones, that are amazing).

moggiecat and Leona95 like this.
  8. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    This is a great idea at the surface level but a standard does need to be defined - and that would be what, exactly?
    What quantifies beginner (upper threshold) to Intermediate, etc and specific to which particular area / focus for specified
    genre? This may lead to further frustration because one is looking for that gem within the tutorial and not observe it relative to one's level - or another may find the whole tutorial overall excellent! This may lead to a degree of situational bias (which in effect is simply a dumbed-down version of savvy marketing) for a shit product. One excellent ramification of a site such as this is that such potential is near-nulled because it's there for the ample sharing - but the problem then becomes one of shear volume - and thus the preface of the topic of this thread . . .

I would welcome such effort . . .

Last edited: 16 Jun 2020
    Leona95 likes this.
  9. Leona95

Leona95 Gold Nova

No Limit
    You are correct @Nikon4life. The rating is very subjective. But I don't see how to overcome this fact. Some kind of metacritical approach might help.

Nikon4life likes this.
  10. ariel

ariel Silver IV

Gold Member No Limit
    Liquidverve is not showing her real workflow. She edited an ugly contrasty image and put just a thousand layers in photoshop.
    Okay, yeah it is an approach to learn Photoshop but really not for beginners.

If you see her portfolio there is a big difference in the style. The images are a lot softer and not that much contrast. Maybe it is an old workshop idk - but really not worth to buy it.

Okay to watch, but be careful what you learn. Take some ideas and apply them into your own workflow.

I`m looking for a professional Tutorial in Portraits like Allessio Albi and not that childish Styles like Liquidverve. Any recommendations??

11. Echoitachi

Echoitachi New Member

Leona95 likes this.
  12. george

george Administrator

Staff Member Gold Member No Limit
    Great Idea.
    I strongly suggest this.
    If you actually watch a tutorial and post a review you will be rewarded with likes.

Leona95 likes this.
  13. george

george Administrator

Staff Member Gold Member No Limit
    And the reviews should be posted in the thread with the tutorial, not here.

cassini and Leona95 like this.
  14. bholenath

bholenath Gold

No Limit
    What about uploaders messaging you later on if you write a "not so favorable" review?

Leona95 and rudolphpost like this.
  15. Kount

Kount Silver III

Leona95 likes this.
  16. Nikon4life

Nikon4life Legendary Master

Lifetime Gold Gold Member No Limit
    Respond (or not) accordingly . . . really . . . I'm not being snarky . . .

Leona95 likes this.
  17. rudolphpost

rudolphpost Silver IV

No Limit
    The reviews are meant to be subjective.
    If you disagree with a review or have an alternate opinion, you are more then welcome to add your own.

This isn't about whether garnering voted or likes but rather giving your honest take on tutorials.
    I'll be posting some landscape review in the coming weeks.

Leona95 likes this.
  18. bholenath

bholenath Gold

No Limit

Right but then you are sort of hurting the chances of people getting likes. It is a double edged sword. I will slowly start positing short reviews or synopsis of some Tutes. I really wish people had done that in the past. I've been through some 4 hour lectures where it's been an utter waste of time.

19. noahthanks

noahthanks New Member

I'll add one since it was so bad. I paid for this tutorial with a group buy with my friend so it's even worse.

Tutorial: Dani Diamond

About : Shooting and editing tutorial

Review: Company that filmed and edited the videos were absolutely awful. Tons of wasted times between each clip. Tons of useless info. Not organized at all. Some extremely beginner tips thrown into advanced tips. No fluid flow from start to finish. Basically just a bunch of youtube videos pieced together but even less organized. Retouching was great. Videos are from start to finish and easy to understand.

Pros:
    • Fairly easy to learn his style. His methods are a bit old school but they work.
    • Editing video from start to finish from every shoot with a consistent process.

Cons:
    • Uses camera raw in photoshop to edit. Not great for bulk
    • Extremely hard to understand photo tutorial
    My Rating: 5/10
    Shooting tutorial: 2/10
    Editing tutorial: 8/10

I have probably watched 15 or so tutorials and this one was by far the worst.

Product link
    https://proedu.com/products/the-gui...d-a-how-to-course-for-natural-light-portraits

Tutorial link
    https://p-v.club/threads/rggedu-nat...e-retouching-with-dani-diamond.94/#post-21263

Last edited: 20 Jun 2020
    moggiecat, ariel and Leona95 like this.
  20. Leona95

Leona95 Gold Nova

No Limit
    Thank you! Would you mind to add a link to the tutorial's thread?